Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE Problem, ongoing after reformat[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MLacina

MLacina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Avohir, good news...I was able to retrieve hotmail though Outlook, I still can't send anything when I tried to reply to emails I get a message "error, not enough memory", but wanted to let you know we are one step closer. Still can't move icons on desktop. THANK YOU! I will check in later, probably around 5pm (6pm your time) IF your were here I'd kiss ya!

Advertisements

MLacina

MLacina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Jeff,
I went through the process of modifying the data type and value name thingy for fixing IE, not sure what happened from there went to the download IE6 (had to type in the whole http stuff, anyway, guess it's a fixer download..not even sure...anyway, tried to get back to live chat with you and it was taking forever!!!! I assume IE is gone??? What do I do next?

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
okay, if you cant use IE at all now, what I'd like you to do is restore your system to before you had the problem.

boot into safe mode by tapping f8 at startup and selecting Safe Mode when it prompts you. After selecting your user login, click NO when it prompts you. This should send you to the System Restore area. Select a restore point from a time before you attempted the IE repair install. Then follow the prompts and reboot. Post back with whether or not it was successful, and/or any problems you had

Edited by Avohir, 16 April 2005 - 01:15 PM.

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
Closed, since Jeff had her reformat ;)

If you need this reopened, pm a staff member, or stop back into chat. Sorry it had to come down to a reformat :tazz:

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

MLacina

MLacina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm baaaaaack....I reformated Friday, ran updates, blah..blah..blah...all the sudden now I'm runnin slow as molases in the middle of Alaska in January!!! (Pretty darn slow!) and it seems like every "safe" website I wanna go to, like Lavasoft.com I get an IE error 403 I am forbidden to access that site...what the heck is this all about.

Here's my log...I hope this is an easy fix cause I ain't up for another challenge...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:44:24 PM, on 4/19/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\3DMouse\3DMouse.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\NetMedia\Versato.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\NetMedia\OSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\MIchelle\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.netscape.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.shopnbc.com
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3DMouse] C:\PROGRA~1\3DMouse\3DMouse.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X74-X75] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: NetMedia.lnk = C:\Program Files\NetMedia\Versato.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .UVR: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPUPano.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.shopnbc.com
O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://support2.char...oad/tgctlcm.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1113621000667
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

MLacina

MLacina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay here's the situation...initially I could not access my hotmail, I would get a blank page that said "done" at the bottom. Avohir and Jeff ran me through all the malware steps and that helped with other small issues I was having and obviously cleaned up my system but still no go with hotmail, I ended up having to reformat (I do not recommend doing this unless EVERYTHING else has been tried!!!!) after the reformat I was able to access my hotmail account for about three days. (after the reformat I did all my xp updates, downloaded SpyBot, Ad Aware, CWShredder, ZoneAlarm) then all of the sudden when I went to my hotmail account I would type in my user name and password, and recieved a security pop up with the scrambled letters and numbers, typed those in the box and it went back to the login screen, just keeps goin back and forth never accessing anything. I can access the rest of my families email accounts, mine is the only one I can't seem to get anywhere with. I also tried to access my hotmail through outlook express, where I recieved a message from hotmail directing me to www.hotmail.msn.com, to answer a few questions to help eliminate spam, but when I try to go to the link I receive an error message and I can't get any further. I have emailed hotmail from my husbands account and am waiting for their reply...once I receive word from them I will post it in this thread.

The following is my HJT log. Thanks Avohir and Jeff!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:05:04 PM, on 4/20/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\3DMouse\3DMouse.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\NetMedia\Versato.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 7.0\aoltray.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\NetMedia\VsPlayer.exe
C:\Program Files\NetMedia\OSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\MIchelle\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.netscape.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.shopnbc.com
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3DMouse] C:\PROGRA~1\3DMouse\3DMouse.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X74-X75] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: NetMedia.lnk = C:\Program Files\NetMedia\Versato.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 7.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 7.0\aoltray.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .UVR: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPUPano.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.shopnbc.com
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1113621000667
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

:tazz:

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hello MLacina, Avohir asked me if I could try and help with this log.

After looking at your log, I did some research into your problem. There are others who are having the very same problem. They have found a local workaround that seems to work.

Try this one first(EDIT)
In Internet Explorer,
Select Tools ,
Internet Options,
Security
Click the Custom Level... button
Scroll down to Allow META REFRESH
And enable it.

Now see if you can open Hotmail.

You need to create a new windows user account:

Please click START ---> CONTROL PANEL ---> USER ACCOUNTS

Then Click Create New Account

Once this is done, please logon using the new user account and attempt to open Hotmail, if this works, post back and I will help you move files between your user accounts, if it does not work, then I will keep looking.

Just so you know, all of your desktop items and documents will not be on this user, we can move those over if this workaround works.

If this works, it is only a workaround, not a real solution, so I will keep looking for more ideas.

-Justin

Edited by Jfcap, 21 April 2005 - 07:06 AM.

MLacina

MLacina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Here is my reply from Hotmail,

We have discovered that the third party software programs like Zone Alarm Pro can interfere with your ability to successfully complete the verification process. If you are using Zone Alarm, following the steps below should help you resolve the issues you have been experiencing.

1. In Zone Alarm, select "Privacy"
2. Under Cookie Control, click "Custom"
3. In Custom Privacy Settings, uncheck the box that says, "Remove private header information"
4. Click "OK"

If you are using other firewall or anti-virus software besides Zone Alarm, Please contact them to check what steps they suggest to not block information when using our service. Additionally, since we never recommend disabling programs designed to protect your computer it is best to contact the manufacturer of your product or try completing the verification process from another computer that may have different software installed.

Facts and Tips about the Human Interactive Proof validation process:

1. It is possible to receive multiple challenges a day or every few days. This will be dependent on the amount and types of messages you are sending however over time this should improve.

2. You need to correctly enter the text on the screen before you will be able to access your account. If you have issues in viewing the picture and your computer has speakers please click the "I can't see this picture" link. This will bring up an audio file that will play the numbers and letters you are supposed to enter to ensure what you are entering is correct.

Please try to access your Hotmail account from the web site "http://www.hotmail.com/". If you are redirected to the same page to complete the validation process repeatedly, please check your browser settings to make sure that they are configured properly. This may also help you to resolve your issue that you are experiencing. Please perform the steps given below:

In Internet Explorer:

1. Clear your browser's cache or "Temporary Internet Files"

a. From the "Tools" menu, select "Internet Options"
b. On the "General" tab, under "Temporary Internet Files", click "Delete Files"
c. Click "Settings" and select "Every Visit to the Page"

To confirm that the files have been deleted, click "View Files". If they have not been deleted, select all files and delete them.

d. Under "History", click "Clear History"

2. Verify that your browser's cookies are enabled

a. Click "Tools" from your browser's menu, then click "Internet Options"
b. Click "Privacy" tab, then click the "Advanced" button
c. Mark the checkbox beside "Override Automatic Cookie Handling"

3. Lower the "Security" settings
a. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options"
b. Click "Security"
c. Click "Default Level"
d. Verify that the slider is set to "Medium." If it is not, move the slider to "Medium" by clicking on it and moving your cursor to the appropriate direction
e. Click "OK"

4. Check if your browser supports SSL (Secure Socket Layer)

a. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options", and then click "Advanced"
b. Scroll to the "Security" section
c. Confirm that all of the "Use SSL" check boxes are selected

If you are using a browser other than Internet Explorer, please refer to your browser's Help section.

After entering the characters that are used to validate, please click on the "Refresh" button. You will find this button on the top of your screen. This should be done whenever the page fails to download and you get a blank screen.

Please be informed that if you are sending an e-mail that has an attachment, when you are prompted to verify your user identify, you will have to re-attach the file. Also, you must successfully enter the text that is displayed before you can send e-mail messages again.

I made all of their suggested changes and was not able to access my mail, however I then went back to ZoneAlarm and removed the ad blockers (per Avohirs suggestion) and was FINALLY able to access my account. I hope this helps anyone else having problems with their Hotmail accounts.

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
:tazz:

Well I'm glad you finally got it fixed at least.

I knew when it was still there after a reformat it had to be something in your protection software.

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
To protect yourself further:
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
I also suggest that you delete any files from "temp", "tmp" folders. In Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" => "Internet Options" => "Delete Files" and select the box that says "Delete All Offline Content" and click on "OK" twice. Also, empty the recycle bin by right clicking on it and selecting "Empty Recycle Bin". These steps should be done on a regular basis.

Advertisements

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.