Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems running software (missing dll/api)

• Please log in to reply

Bramble

Bramble

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
I had some probs with 'Adobe Audition' recently and tried a fresh install but still had issues.

I later discoverd the initial problem was having was caused by an 'AVG' (Anti Virus) update that has now been fixed.
However I had uninstalled several pieces of Audio software initially to try and solve the problems as I thought it was a conflict issue and I guess along the way some system dll's or api's were taken out by the uninstalls also.
Now all I can do is install 'Audition' but it wount launch.

Is there any way to find which dll/api's are missing or are needed for a piece of software to run?

Ive tried the Adobe forums but have not had much luck so far.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I would uninstall Audition and reboot the pc. Then I would use Tune UP 2007 to clean up your registry.

Download, install and run[/color] Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

After performing the above tasks, try installing audition and seeing if it works now.

Bramble

Bramble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
Many thanks for the great info on 'Tuneup' and even though I run some reg cleaners already, It sure found a whole bunch of garbage that needed taking out.

I installed 'TuneUp' and ran all the cleanups in the order you suggested with reeboots along the way and then tried a reinstall but sadly its still refuses to load up and gives the old '*blardy blar* has generated and error and will be closed down. an error log has been created etc....'

Where would I access the 'error log' and would that be of any help at all in possibly pinpointing the problem?

Any more suggestions would be most appreciated.

Regards B

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Look in your event logs. Control panel, admin tools, event logs. either under system or application and see if there are any red or yellow indicators.

Bramble

Bramble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok.
Thanks for that.
Ive looked at the logs. There does seems to be a few too many errors in the System Log but not many in the Apps Log.

I tried launching 'Cool Edit Pro' (Audition) and got the usual message and then scanned the Logs but it hadnt registered the error in either log.

I made the copy of the logs and attached them for you to scan over.

Am I looking at doing a total reinstall to fix this problem?

Thanks for all the help here.

Attached File  App_Log.txt   48.43KB   109 downloads

Attached File  sys_log.txt   49.18KB   101 downloads

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, those didn't do much good. I need the actual contents of those events. If you go into each event, you can see the detail. You will notice that they problably repeat sevearl times. I just need a sampling of the ones from the system log to look at.

Bramble

Bramble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Is this what your looking for?

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg
004.jpg 005.jpg

I couldnt C&P the info so I SC'd them.
as you say they are mainly repetition but couldnt find any releating to 'Cool edit' (Audition)

Edited by Bramble, 22 July 2007 - 03:44 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, I see that from the errors that you have zone alarm installed. I would recommend that we uninstall it for now (through add/remove programs).

Please take a look at steps 5-8 http://kb.adobe.com/...n...9&sliceId=2

These would be the next set of steps that I would try.

Bramble

Bramble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
Thanks for your time on this issue.

Ive tried each of these steps and...

5) Deleted file in C:\Documents and Settings\ [username] \Application Data\CoolEditPro\2.0.
Result: No diffrence.

6) Cant open Cool edit to change settings.

7) Cancelled all startups, rebooted, reinstalled.
Result: No difference.

8) Followed instructions up untill > enter 'msconfig'
Result: Returned error 'Not found'

I even tried..
9) Installing on second drive.
Result: no difference.

Does the results of Step 8 signify big trouble?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
MS didn't include msconfig with windows 2000, however it works just fine. Attached for your use. just copy to your SYSTEM32 folder. Then try step 8 again and see what happens.

http://starjax.net/gtg/msconfig.exe

Edited by starjax, 23 July 2007 - 03:39 PM.

Advertisements

Bramble

Bramble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I know this sounds a bit stupid.... but I searched for the folder 'System32' on my PC and couldnt find it.
Im doing a trojan scan at the moment and Ive just noticed the Anti Trojan program it is now scanning the 'System32' folder >C:\WINNT\System32\ Though its not showing the folder in theactual WINNT directory.
Ive got the PC set to show 'Hidden Files'

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
thats ok. just place it in the winnt folder. All you are really doing is putting it somewhere, that the os already has in its path statement. In other words, so you can just go to start, run and enter "msconfig" and it will launch. Otherwise you will have to launch with the full path. c:\msconfig.exe for example.

Bramble

Bramble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry about this.... theres always something isnt there? :whistling:

I moved the msconfig file to WINNT and got upto...

> 'Choose Service tab' > select > 'Windows Installer' and 'System Restore Service'...

But there isnt a 'System Restore Service' in the list.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
move on past that step. windows 2000 doesn't have system restore.

Bramble

Bramble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok I did that and its still the same.
The program tried to load up as soon as it was installed and failed, then I couldnt restart the PC from the 'System config' box.
Tried with the usual Start > Shutdown > Restart option but that was the same and eventualy had to use the reset button to restart it.

I think weve lost this one. :whistling: