Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Enough Memory Problem

• Please log in to reply

stephaniiiiie

stephaniiiiie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My parent's still have Windows Me on their computer. Starting this morning, the computer won't turn on and it gives an error stating that there is not enough memory to continue. Obviously they need to delete some files but we can't get onto the computer to do so. Safe mode won't work either. Is there any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Do you have any idea how much physical memory it actually has? I just saw win98 running with 32mb of memory, but it was pretty slow. For winME or 98 I would suggest128mb. It's entirely possible that the memory is faulty, or even is not properly seated in the socket.

You can download memtest86 to a floppy or CD and run it on the system to test the memory. Just run it for a couple of hours, if it doesn't show a problem you may be OK.

BTW winME is notoriously poor at managing memory and hard drive space, that is one reason it was abandoned quite early and replaced by XP. Also Microsoft no longer supports it.