Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes up on the "welcome" screen...Again

• Please log in to reply

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello to all,
About 3-4 weeks ago,there was a power outtage while my computer was on,and when I hooked it back up,the computer was stuck on the "welcome" screen,which comes up a few seconds after my computer comes on.At the time I would also freeze up when I would try to start it in safe mode.

I was able to push F10,and do a total system restore,however I lost all my documents that I had not made copies of,and I had to have a represenative of time warner cable to hook Road Runner back up.

Yesterday,I was on the computer,and as I turned it off,a message briefly came up about my D:/ drive, and now my computer is freezing at the welcome screen again.However I am able to get into my safe mode.I tried storing my system to an earlier date,but it did not work.

I know that if I cant get it fixed that doing a total system repair will probably fix it,but I have quite a few documents that I would like to copy,as well as not wanting to need someone to hook my Road Runner connection up again.

I dont know if these 2 incedents are related,but I hope there is something I can do.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type chkdsk /r then press enter

Type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot

It will take an hour or so to get to the desktop and the process should not be disturbed

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello Keith,thanks so much for your reply.I will try it A.S.A.P and Hopefully it will work.Will let you know.

Thanks again.

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello Keith,unfortunantly it did not work.

A screen came up saying "checking files" and it was a 5 step process,however after it finished,it restarted the computer,and as soon as it got back to the welcome screen,it froze.I left the computer on all night just to make sure the screen was not going to come up.

Any other ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
One difference between safe mode and normal start up is the video card, if you have the software, can you uninstall the drivers etc, restart the PC

If it loads to the desktop, re-install the video drivers and software

Is it an HP PC?