Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NETWORKING

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

freddyboy

freddyboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am disabled and have a windows millenium edition in my bedroom and a windows xp downstairs. I have internet on my xp and would like to connect it to the millenium set. I am not able to afford wireless and have been told by engineer at PC World that I could connect simply by purchasing USB to Lan convertor . Unfortunatly no stores local stock this item and PC world do not obtain single items .Can anyone suggest where I could purchase in the Middlesex area.

Advertisements

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Hi Freddyboy,

All you need is a ethernet card in each PC, (CHEAP ON EBAY) and a cross over cable to connect the two PC's together. then run the network wizzard.

Regards,

Usetobe

Aravinda24

Aravinda24

• Pip
  • 8 posts
i also want to transfer files from one computer to another... which are in the same room. can i simply connect the two ethernet cards via a LAN cable directly?

thanks

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
To Aravinda24,

Please do not post in someone else's thread, it cofuses the issues.

However to answer your question, you need a crossover cat5 cable to connect the two PC'S without a router.

Once connected run the Network wizzard on the main pc and follow the instruction through

Regards,

Usetobe

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Topic closed