Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network question

• Please log in to reply

knowslittle

knowslittle

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
In my map showing my computer connection it starts out:

Local >>>Internet 1 (70) and I see there are 1-70 connections....This is where you Merge or Delete.

One was in use, the rest were not in use. I don't know a thing about this. Could someone explain. The new Vista pages are a bit unnerving (trying to compare how they were in XP and now...)

Are these open ports? Sorry, lost at sea.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I'm not sure what your talking about. Just to be clear could you post a screenshot?

knowslittle

knowslittle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi and sorry I didn't clarify...

I saw that my aol connection was default but that below that there was an "internet 1 (2) - it used to be (70) but I deleted all but the one that was in use. Where I found that was when I went to control panel I clicked on Network, then it showed Network Sharing (discovery?) and that is where it shows a diagram : Me ...> Internet 1 (2) pic of computers .....> Internet pic/Globe.

Below that is Sharing/Discovery (new to me) and I see that my settings are ???? I didn't do them anyway...but it shows: Custom is On, File sharing is On and Public sharing is off. I don't know what they should be and I don't know where in Firewall settings (Explorer or Mcaffee?) that I can change them. Do you have any idea what the ideal settings should be, where they can be set, and anything further would be appreciated. I use the net to browse, have Lexmark allinone, Media Player, Windows (set to update) and McAffee set to update - both automatic. I was thinking maybe they set these. I really don't have a clue what this "Discovery" thing is. My Password Protected sharing is on, too. I want to make sure that this is supposed to be, or not. Hope that helps explain some better....I don't know how to do a "screen shot" btw. You might through that in there, too if you would not mind. Appreciate all your responses. I am not on some "network" other than dialup and have aol as default dialer. No other computers in the home or work...so I don't know how that got to be all the way up to (70)....

Brandi