Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Network Annoyance

• Please log in to reply

sp0rk3d

sp0rk3d

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK I'm on a wired network with a buffalo whr-g54s acting as the router. The computer I am on (Computer A) is not able to access the base sharing directory of Computer B on the same network. Posted Image
Posted Image

However when I type in the shared directory manually (ie "\\chris\netmusic") I encounter no problems. It's just a minor issue I think, but it's bugging the crap out of me for not knowing where the resolution lies. Anyone have this problem before or care to offer some suggestions?

I have disabled firewalls and antivirus on both sides, reconfigured following the guide on here, WINS enabled, checked router settings for firewall, disabled even Windows' firewall etc. What else can I try or what can I do to narrow the problem down?

(I'd also ask about how to decrease the response time as it seems a bit sluggish right now, probably part and parcel to the problem above. To draw out the sluggishness imagine I just typed into the address bar \\chris\shareddir - it would take 1-1.5 minutes to list the directory even if the directory was empty! Well, take this into consideration too in your suggestions.)

If you guys need any setting specific info just let me know. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

sp0rk3d

sp0rk3d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Now this is weird... I'm over there on my computer, I go check to see if the computers are listed at MSHOME inside an explorer window. Both are there but when I right click on the computer I am already using - explorer freezes and I lose all access from the other computer until I restart the one that froze. Drwatson32 is running and when I end that task I get unfroze. Now what would cause a crash simply by accessing my own network resources???

I'm not sure what to think now. I've tried using a spare NIC I had lying around but that didn't solve it, so rule out hardware. I'm also doing an online scan for virii and spyware to rule those out (I'm almost 100% certain I'm clean, nonetheless I might as well examine the easy-to-miss stuff first.)

Router firmware is good too. I have internet connectivity, obviously. I don't know what else to look for. Probably some little detail somewhere. Thanks for the help.

Edited by sp0rk3d, 22 July 2007 - 03:51 PM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
On both systems are you POSITIVE that the account is called "chris"?

You also failed to mention the operating systems in use. XP Home and Pro are different and could potentially be the culprit here. Same with various versions of Vista.

It looks like you are using XP by your screen shots.

If it is Pro then you can go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups and then Users to see what the TRUE name of the account is that you are using. An account that you log in with can be renamed to anything but will retain it's initial state. So if you setup your computer and the login was pcuser and you renamed it to "Chris" the network doesn't know what "Chris" is.. it sees "pcuser".

Unfortunately this is a downfall of XP Home. It requires a 3rd party tool to access this area (as far as I have been able to see... I don't use Home or even recommend it).

This is where I would start since it appears that you can "force" the connection.

sp0rk3d

sp0rk3d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

On both systems are you POSITIVE that the account is called "chris"?

You also failed to mention the operating systems in use. XP Home and Pro are different and could potentially be the culprit here. Same with various versions of Vista.

It looks like you are using XP by your screen shots.

If it is Pro then you can go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups and then Users to see what the TRUE name of the account is that you are using. An account that you log in with can be renamed to anything but will retain it's initial state. So if you setup your computer and the login was pcuser and you renamed it to "Chris" the network doesn't know what "Chris" is.. it sees "pcuser".

Unfortunately this is a downfall of XP Home. It requires a 3rd party tool to access this area (as far as I have been able to see... I don't use Home or even recommend it).

This is where I would start since it appears that you can "force" the connection.

I had originally posted this in Windows XP section but someone saw fit to move it here. It is XP home edition on both computers. The computer name on the network is "CHRIS", primary account is "Owner" and is the only account on here.

What is the third party tool?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

What is the third party tool?

I have never used any of them as I rarely use XP Home in any environment and when I do it's usually at start up and I have configured the system, so I couldn't tell you which 3rd party tool is reliable at all...

Do a Google on XP Home User Manager and you should get some options, but at that point you are on your own unless someone else has experience with any of these tools.