Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do we need more memory?

• Please log in to reply

jefnl

jefnl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My wife uses our older computer, a Dell with a 667 MHz Intel processor running Windows 98 (4.10.2222 A) with 128MB of RAM. We use Norton AntiVirus with automatic updates.

The computer has been running quite slowly lately. Using the System Monitor, how do I determine whether there's a good chance that adding RAM would help?

Joel

Advertisements

ScorpioWulf

ScorpioWulf

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Adding RAM generally helps the performance of most computers.

With a 667mhz processor, it's quite far behind. Maybe look on ebay for an upgrade?

Also - have you checked the available disk space on the hard drive? If you're running low on physical memory, it could definitely have that effect.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
That computer is too old to be upgraded anymore. When you can buy a good Compaq or H-P for $400-$500 why spend the money for more memory. If you insist in buying memory and are running Win ME or earlier OS's buy a 512 MB stick . They do not like more than 512Mb of memory in these old computers.

http://www.tigerdire...e...2&CatId=145

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820146304

SRX660

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
SRX660"s advice is good except that a lot of older machines may not be able to recognize a full 512mb stick, you may need two 256s or four 128s to work. You can check with the makers specifications. It will probably need to be PC133 and the fastest processors made for that machine would be 1,133mhz, but even a 1,000 mhz would be a nice improvement. You can add memory and upgrade the processor without having to make any changes in the operating system. Also a faster hard drive with a UDMA cable would help too. You do know that win98 and ME are no longer supported by Microsoft?

jefnl

jefnl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There's plenty of space on the hard disk. Tried to defragment it, and selected the option to check the drive first. It's been running about 12 hours, and still shows "Checking drive for errors...0% complete." Should I stop it and start over without the option to check the drive first?

Joel

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would suggest using JkDefrag, but it is only supported from Windows 2000 and on. Try looking for another defrag program, I find generally the Windows built-in versions to be less than reliable... It obviously needs to support Windows 98...