Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook sends gif, Outlook Express will not send gif

• Please log in to reply

SkyKing69

SkyKing69

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Folks,

I'm a news junkie and travel for a living. When on the road I occasionally have a problem that I never have from home. I do my general email from Outlook, but because it is so easy to remove scripts from the code sometimes in news articles' html I use Outlook Express to edit and send news stories to friends and family.

The problem: If I send a news story with the news source's masthead embedded as a gif, I sometimes get an error like this:

"An unknown error has occurred. Subject '"Family renews search for hunter's remains" & "Remains of Texas hunter found in western Colorado"', Account: 'Phillip xxxxxx', Server: 'mail.wildblue.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 mail server permanently rejected message (#5.3.0)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F"

However, if I just send the article without the embedded gif, it goes through without a problem. But wait, that's not all. LOL

If I take the very same article and copy it from the Outlook Express note that I have prepared, and then paste it into an Outlook note and I re-embed the gif (When I paste it in there's nothing but a placeholder in the Outlook message for some reason.); when I then hit send the Outlook copy WILL send with the embedded gif.

Configurations: I can see NO difference in the configuration of Outlook (Outlook 2003 (11.8118.8132) SP2) and Outlook Express (OE 6 (6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)). Both clients are configured the same, with "My server requires authentication" checked and the information correctly reflected.

Applicable?: The Microsoft Article 290808 (http://support.micro....com/?id=290808) looks similar, but while it starts off looking promising it gets off into Exchange and this doesn't appear to be an Exchange issue...

Summary: Outlook WILL send with an embedded gif, OE will not.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Phil

Advertisements