Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade memory

• Please log in to reply

DarbyC

DarbyC

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello All,

I bought a computer recently (for my mother to use) that has OS Windows 98 second edition.

I think the motherboard is a SIS 530/5595 (that's what I used to search for a copy of the 'original installation CD' with the correct drivers, anyway).

It has two slots for memory and one of them is open. It currently has one MPC643s-882 - 64MB PC100 and I couldn't find another one on the 'net. If I could get some assistance finding out what would be compatible, that would be great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day.

Darby

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
SiS don't make mainboards, they do chipsets. Your Sis 530/5595 is the chipset model.

Download Everest:
http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

And it'll tell you what your mainboard model is. You can then look this up on crucial.com for memory that' it'll work with.

DarbyC

DarbyC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks, Neil

DarbyC

DarbyC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I ran Everest to get some info about the computer.
Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD K6-2, 450 MHz (4.5 x 100)
Motherboard Name GVC FR520
Motherboard Chipset SiS 530
System Memory 59 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (10/15/98)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port EPSON Printer Port (LPT1)

It is a Proteva computer and when I look up 'GVC FR520' on the 'net it says the motherboard is a Packard Bell.

When I went to crucial.com, I didn't see Proteva as a manufacturer I could select. It appeared to me that they wanted the computer manufacturer, not the motherboard manufacturer.

Using 'GVC FR520' to search, I found this link on the 'net for 'Packard Bell Miami M/Board':
http://www.uktsuppor...pb/mb/miami.htm

This was on the page:
Upgrade Options
# CPU : CPU upgradable up to 450 MHz.
# RAM :

* RAM upgradable up to 512 MB using 66 or 100 MHz SDRAM DIMMs.
* The Miami motherboard only accepts 168-pin DIMM modules. Only gold-plated DIMMs may be used, as the sockets on the motherboard are also gold-plated, and oxidation must be prevented.
* Use 60 ns, 3.3 V CAS Latency 2, single- or double-sided DIMMs only. Parity is not supported.

I hope I have provided enough useful information that someone will be able to advise me.

As usual, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Peace be with you,

Darby

onedoller

onedoller

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I did find a site that offers memory for your computer. Here is the link to where you select your model of proteva computer. Proteva selction page. Select your model, and then just buy the memory. Hope this helps :whistling: