Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Access to Word mailmerge

• Please log in to reply

Gumby©

Gumby©

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have 2 tables in an MS Access database. One table (table01) contains a list of items while the other table (table02) contains other data with 1-6 of these items (from table01) associated with them. There is a relationship between these two tables. In Access, regardless of the form, report or query, everything is OK. However, when I use MS Word to do a mailmerge, everything is OK except the items from table01 appear as the ID numbers instead of the contents of the fields. Any suggestions on how to have the contents of the fields appear instead of the ID numbers?

The mailmerge is using table02 as the data source.

Gumby©

Edited by Gumby©, 22 July 2007 - 02:25 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Gumby@!

I apologize for the delay in responding.

In Table02, you've got the ID for the linked record stored in the that field instead of the actual data. This is determined when you initially set up the Lookup field.

To confirm, open Table02 in Design mode, highlight the Lookup field, then click the Lookup tab at the bottom. Notice the Bound Column field and Column Count field. Bound Column probably says "1". That means when you set up the Lookup from Table01, you choose a certain number of fields to display, but the first field (usually the ID field) is actually stored.

I'd think the easiest fix is create a query in Access that utilizes both tables and use that as your mailmerge source.

If you have questions or need additional help, please post back.