Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is it compatible?

• Please log in to reply

kalteal

kalteal

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just bought the e-geforce 7800gs and put it in, the computer does not seem to recognise to new hardware, my motherboard is an asus a7vbx-la. I was wondering if they are compatible and if so what the problem might be. thanks.

Advertisements

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
If the motherboard already has an on-board graphics card, you have to enable the new card instead of the old on board one.

Hope that helps...

kalteal

kalteal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
how do i enable it if it is not recognized?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You have to disable the on-board graphics (in BIOS) for your computer to reconize the video card, after doing so it will automatically "enable" the new GPU. I can't give you directions on how to do this as every motherboard's BIOS is different.
James

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The A7VBX-LA is a butchered Asus board made specifically for HP/Compaq.
Therefore there may well be no option in the BIOS to turn off onboard graphics. Branded computers like these don't like you doing that so the option is removed to cut down on support calls. The fact that you can add a separate card later doesn't enter into the equation, HP would rather you buy a new computer.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hmm, never knew they removed the option, but it makes sense.
The problem with HP/Acer/Dell and so on is that they offer very few computers with discreet graphics card, unless you buy from Voodoo, which would cost lots of money as everything is hand built.
James