Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION codes - need help!

• Please log in to reply

lantierl

lantierl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am unable to determine the root cause of my system crashes that show the following on my BSOD:
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x8054D570, 0xB2000010, 0x00010C0F)

I built this machine from scratch about a year ago, and have experienced infrequent, untimely crashes such as this with varying degrees of frequency. When it first occurred, I ran MEMTEST386 and found bad memory, which Kingston replaced free of charge. For a long while, I rarely saw the error reoccur. But lately, they have been happening more frequqntly.

I have run MEMTEST386 and other memory checks and see no issues with memory. I am running Windows XP Home on an AMD ATHLON 64 CPU on an ABIT UL8 motherboard with a 420W power supply and 1GB of RAM (two 512 MB dual channel DDR Kingston KVR400AK2/1GR).

Help? How do I determine what the problem is to decided what to do to make this frsutrating error STOP?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type chkdsk /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, it will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop do not disturb this.

lantierl

lantierl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Click start then run, type chkdsk /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, it will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop do not disturb this.

Keith,
I ran the chkdsk /r twice. On the first go, it ran and went very quickly, after reboot gave a light blue screen for about 10 sec saying the F drive was clean. A few hours later, it crashed again.

I ran chkdsk /r a second time, this time, it took over an hour last night, as your post stated it should, so I feel more confident that it executed properly on the second attempt.

It has not crashed since, but it has only been a few hours since I ran it and got a few hours of sleep in. Assuming that it crashes again at some point today, how do I determine the root cause of the system crashes? Is there a step by step procedure I should follow to determine the root cause?

- lantierl

Edited by lantierl, 24 July 2007 - 05:46 AM.