Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic Restart, No Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

Kevin3

Kevin3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

My computer is in an endless cycle of restarting itself. Boots up and I am able to see the Windows screen with the bar telling me it is loading but then it reverts back to re-booting. From what I gather in reading other posts, I have some registry issue that is causing this.

When I purchased this computer about three years ago, I bought it from someone I worked with and didn't receive any XP disks. (It runs XP PRO) If I purchase new XP software, can I install it on my existing computer w/o deleting any of the files/data/programs that I currently have installed? I do have an external HD that I backed up my data to several months ago but my BIOS doesn't allow booting from a USB device.

I guess if worse comes to worst, I can retrieve some of my files from the external HD if I loose the information after purchasing new XP PRO software but I would appreciate confirmation concerning my thought of just buying XP software to reinstall windows with my current computer.

Thank You, Kevin

Advertisements

bloodyice69

bloodyice69

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I had a similar problem in the past. Instead of completely wiping out your system, just get a recovery disk and it should ask you if you'd like to back up any files on the machine and then restore it to its factory setting.. I'm not sure if they sell just recovery disks though. But if they do im sure its a lot cheaper then purchasing a brand new OS

Edited by bloodyice69, 22 July 2007 - 10:45 PM.