Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Setup and Q's

• Please log in to reply

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Case= Antec 900 Gaming Case

CPU= Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 OR Core 2 Quad Q6600 ( cannot choose between because I have heard that some games/ apps will not run on Quad... Is that true?? Also, when is the price slash going to be and how much will the slash be?? )

Motherboard= 122-CK-NF68-A1 nForce 680i SLi 775 ATX

RAM= OCZ 3GB

GPU= 8800 GTX

HDD= 500GB

ODD= DVD/CD Drive

PSU= Antec true Power Trio-650 650W

Please recommend a good monitor larger than 20" at a reasonable price and has DVI

Edited by phatjo911, 22 July 2007 - 10:39 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The price slash is today, get ready. The price differences will be so small that you'd be much better off going with the quad. Do you plan on overclocking? Please give a link to that PSU.
What price is resonable for the 20" monitor.
James

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
So, does that mean the Quad can play all of the games?
If it can, I will definately go with the Quad. And no, I do not plan on overclocking. But I do want an aftermarket fan. Please recommend one.

Here's the link: http://www.newegg.co...x...er+trio+650

Is this a good fan?: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835106046

I'm not sure what price is reasonable, because I don't have much knowledge about the monitors....

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Do you ever plan on doing SLI? If your not overclocking don't get a aftermarket cooler, that'd be like burning your cash, you'd be better off spending more money on another component.
What are you willing to spend on a monitor, if your unsure look around then get back to me.
James

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Yes, I do plan on going SLI, but not soon.

I'm willing to spend up to about $300 for a monitor.

I don't want to go for anything HD, but I would definately want DVI.

Will a Dual GTX fit in the motherboard and case I mentioned above??

Edited by phatjo911, 23 July 2007 - 08:03 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you want to SLI a GTX that PSU will not allow it as you'll need 4x 6pin PCIe cables.
Yes I have the case, it will fit easily.
Any monitor will have DVI now, I highly recommend you get one with HDCP support as it will be more future proof and will alow you to play HD movies and possible games (?) further down the road. Without it you will not be able to do so and sooner or later we will all be using high definition TV/DVD further down the road, us the consumer demand it.
James

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Well, then can you recommend a power supplly that supports dual GTX's ( under $150 ) \

If I get a monitor with HDCP, do I need to have a separate HD DVD player to view movies in HD, or can I just play HD movies in a normal DVD r/w drive??

How about this for the monitor: http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=S197-2017

Edited by phatjo911, 25 July 2007 - 07:51 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes you do need eitehr a HD DVD drive or a blue-ray drive to play HD content.
Whats your budget for a monitor, you really want brand name here as you get what you pay for.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817256011
After the mail in rebate it comes to 160$, your not going to want to go cheaper then this for SLIing two GTX's, the problem is the amount of amps these cards require, yes it's over doing it when it comes to watts but not so much so when it comes to amps.
James

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Wow.. 850 Watts.. So I'll get that for the power supply.

My budget for the monitor is about $300.

Is there a good HD DVD player that fits in the front face slots of the pc case?? (5" and something)

How about this for the monitorSamsung 22"

I picked that out since it was in my budget, and had a brand name.
Does it hace HDCP? What does HDCP stand for??

Edited by phatjo911, 25 July 2007 - 08:03 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
5.25" and yes there is but they are currently overpriced as all cutting edge technology is, your looking at prices starting at 400$ for high definition and even higher for blu ray. Like I said, it's over the top for watts, but it's what you'll need for amps. If you don't know what amps are, they are the power of the current, think of it as the current of water.

As for the monitor here is two really good monitors, take your pick. One is 2" smaller but has higher constrast ratio and lower responce time (better for gaming), it's up to you what matters most, neither one of these two monitors should cause you any problems.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824001236
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824005096
HDCP stand for "High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection", basically speaking, it's exactly what it says, it's a new form of copy protection that prevent people from using prorgams which will record the screen as the movie plays and is required for HD content.
James

Edited by james_8970, 25 July 2007 - 08:08 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Does it hace HDCP? What does HDCP stand for??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP
High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, as James has said. Read and enjoy. That's the EXACT monitor I've been dreaming and drooling over ever since I found out about it. Judging by this link it doesn't say anything about HDCP compliance.

The two James has recommended also look like good monitors.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
What do you think about this??? http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102099

And how come it is so cheap with 1GB of memory??

Is this better than the GTX or is the GTX better??

Is it bad to use an ATI card with an nVidia mobo? For instance- 122CK NF68 A1 680i SLi board with this card?

What motherboard should I use with this ATi card??

Edited by phatjo911, 27 July 2007 - 04:10 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This is a sweet card, james has it. Use a P35 motherboard with this card, Gigabyte make a good one. :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I have the 512GB version, which I had that version as the memory is clocked MUCH higher (2.1GHz opposed to 1650GHz) and it's DDR4 memory opposed to DDR3. Honestly that much Ram I think is overkill the fact that it's clocked so much higher will posse very nice advantages with higher resolutions and higher AA as the HD 2900XT supports 24x AA while no other card on the market can support AA that high.

You can still stay with the 680i series motherboard, although beware, you cannot crossfire with it, if you ever plan on doing so.

If you want the best of the best, stick with the GTX, if you want to save a fair amount of money, the HD2900XT beats the 8800GTS in pretty well every game and it beats the GTX in 3 games. With ever new driver release comes better performance. The AA issue we used to have was cleared up last week with the new catalyst 7.7 release so when you read reviews about the card you can now ignore this statment. Apperently the HD 2900XT never "supported" AA till that moment.

All in all, I recommend the HD2900XT (512 version) if you want to save on a little cash, otherwise if you want to get the best of the best go stick with the GTX. As ruthandtroy has already mentioned, if you take the HD2900XT I recommend the P35, if you get the GTX then I recommend you go for the 680i chipset.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102095

One last note, if you overclock this thing, you will surpase the GTX in many games and have paid much less, however you need a high quality PSU to do so. So if you do get decide to get the card, please tell me how much money you can spend on a PSU and I'll find you one that'll alow you to overclock it achieve GTX performance and greater (however not in all games). You'll probably be looking at 150-170$, an investment in you PSU will allow you to achieve greater potential.

James

Edited by james_8970, 27 July 2007 - 10:05 AM.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Is there a specific program included with the card to enable over clocking without going into the bios? At whcich speed should it be overclocked to beat the GTX?? And can you give me a good temperature reading of the card under load and at idle?? How about the GTS overclocked (320 mb) VS. the HD2900XT overclocked? Which would win in fps? Also, how good is the cooler master stacker case??

Edited by phatjo911, 31 July 2007 - 07:54 AM.