Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Setup and Q's

• Please log in to reply

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Is there a specific program included with the card to enable over clocking without going into the bios? At whcich speed should it be overclocked to beat the GTX?? And can you give me a good temperature reading of the card under load and at idle??

Advertisements

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Is there a specific program included with the card to enable over clocking without going into the bios? At whcich speed should it be overclocked to beat the GTX?? And can you give me a good temperature reading of the card under load and at idle??

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

This is a sweet card, james has it. Use a P35 motherboard with this card, Gigabyte make a good one. :whistling:

I hate you James!!!! Lol.

I also recommend going with the P35. There is no program included with the GTX I don't think, but you can download nTune which is free and it can allow you to overclock it.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 30 July 2007 - 08:43 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling:
Yes ntune for nVidia, however for ATI, most cards if not all of them now come with ATI overdrive which as far as I know (99% sure about this) doesn't void your warrenty. While nVida's overclocking does void the warrentee. ATI overdrive is included in the catalyst support, catayst is ATI's form of drivers, we are currently running at 7.7 and it seems to have really fixed the AA issues for me as well as I can now play Lost Planet DX10 at 30FPS at high settings.
I'm currently at stock running in a Antec 900 case, I have yet to see it reach higher then 62*C, right now it's idling at 36*C, if you want screen shoots I can give them. Some people say I lucked out on a good card, but 95+% of the people who say the cards are hot, don't own one. I'm running HIS HD2900XT. HIS is more money however people generally have a better experience with them, which is why I paid an extra 30-40$ more to go with them, also I think I got an extra year's warranty with them as well. If it helps ambient temperatures are 18-19*C (my room is in the basement).
James

Edited by james_8970, 01 August 2007 - 05:06 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Warranty is something to look out for these day I just used 2 of my warrenties before the 20th day of my build.

Soorena

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
So how about the Cooler Master Stacker case vs. the 900 in cooling? For the Cooler Master case= All the fan expansion slots filled and same for the 900.
Which is a better case to cool the GTX? If no one minds, would someone give me a spec of their system and how much they payed for it?

Edited by phatjo911, 01 August 2007 - 10:08 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Currently everything is in my profile.
The Antec 900 is 100 cheaper and I honestly don't think you can get better cooling then what you get in the Antec 900.

Gigabyte P35-DS3P
E6600 @ stock (for now)
Vista 32bit
HIS HD 2900XT
Samsung SyncMaster226BW and dell E228WFP
850W Strider ST85F
500GB Seagate 7200.10
X-fi xtremegamer
OCz Platinum XTC 3GB 800MHz ram
Antec Nine Hundread Case
Z-5400 5.1 speakers
It cost me around 2600$.

James

Edited by james_8970, 01 August 2007 - 11:57 PM.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I am getting the GTX, but not SLi. Could I use the psu you recommended me without SLiing two GTX's? Would that work?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes the same PSU will work fine (okay more than fine! :whistling: ), if you're never going to SLI then you could possibly look at downgrading a little and save a few extra $$$ but I'll leave that up to james to recommend.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I saw on Newegg that the only $$ difference between the E6600 and the E6750 was $8. Then should I get the E6750 since it has a higher clock speed??

Also, I plan on multi-booting, so can someone tell me how to multiboot with XP PRO and Vista?

Edited by phatjo911, 02 August 2007 - 03:59 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If the E6750 is only $8 more, then go that way! I haven't seen what motherboard you have actually decided to go with, but as long as it supports the 1333MHz FSB then it will support it and you can get the best out of it. :whistling:

EDIT: If you can afford it, I reckon you should go to the quad core you suggested in the first post.

For Dual Booting, I've heard it is possible, I remember reading a tutorial in one of my Australian computer magazines. Not only that, I just google'd it for you and actually found the exact article I was thinking of! Man, that's funny. APC = Australian Personal Computer, it's a pretty good mag.

http://apcmag.com/50...g_xp_with_vista

Double EDIT: :blink: This is my 800th post!

Edited by ruthandtroy, 02 August 2007 - 04:25 AM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Dual booting is very easy, first you install XP on maybe drive C:\ and then when you wanna install Vista, just restart the computer and let it boot into the installation, this way it will install a fresh copy instead of an upgrade, and choose to install in a different partition, possibly D:\ or E:\.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The PSU I recommended is very high end, in fact it's the one that I'm currently using.
If you don't plan on SLI or Crossfire when a downgrade would defiantly be an order.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371002
James

Edited by james_8970, 05 August 2007 - 09:41 PM.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
The motherboard I am going to be using is 122CK-NF68-A1-680i SLi (EVGA)

How much better is the core 2 quad than the E6750?

Also, what is the lowest price on the GTX? the GTS?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Your going to have to look for the lowest prices yourself. Go to the following sites to do so.
www.newegg.com
www.zipzoomfly.com
www.tigerdirect.com

The quad will be better if you are overclocking otherwise stick with the E6750 as it'll be better for games because it has a higher clock. Also most games today can only use 1 core, some 2 cores, but none as of yet can use 4.
James