Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hand me down laptop

• Please log in to reply

lilrif

lilrif

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
HI...I have a laptop that was given to me by my gf when she got a new one...the issue i am having is all of her stuff is still on here...when i run my adaware se it takes forever because it still sees all her files although i am not able to get to them to delete them! plus i think its bogging this thing down because when i run the adaware it just shuts down and is hard to bring back up! any help would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!

Please do not post hijack this logs in any other forum than the malware forum as it will incourage others to do so as well. Your log has been removed and re-attached as a text file

Edited by dsenette, 24 July 2007 - 02:34 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry. Posting a HiJackThis log here, when not ask to, will delay any help you may need. If you think you have malware, then you need to read the instructions for posting a HJT log in the Malware forum.

You might want to ask the original owner to remove her own files and provide you with any passwords need for admin control. Then you can do a proper disk clean up and defrag.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 23 July 2007 - 12:13 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
various ideas,
- can you ask her for the password
- if the answer is no to the above, do you are a restore disk that comes with the machine, or does the laptop have a restore system(by that not system restore I mean)
- if the answer is again no, then we need three tools to reinstall the system, drivermagician(just download the trial one) for the driver gathering, magicjellybean to reuse the license on the machine(or if lucky it will be the one stuck under laptop) and a XPcd of the same type(pro if pro, home if home)

I understand that you will also have to have a copy of the programs that you need but I hope you will agree that it is both best not to using a machine that's files belong to someone else and nice to have a machine that is cleanly installed ready for exactly what you want.

lilrif

lilrif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
sorry about the hijackthis!

there is no password to get into the other user on here...I just do not know if deleting all her items, such as IE if it will mess up all the other files on the laptop...thank you again!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
have you asked her if she wants to retain any files/pictures on the HD before you clean it? Why do you want to delete IE? You'll need it to do updates at M$' site if you delete the wrong file. Either that or Firefox with the IE Tab extension.

If she says no to keeping her files, the go down the list in Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs and delete programs you do not want to keep. For OE, make a new user profile and then delete hers. Go through the My Documents folder and remove files from there you don't want to keep. Of course, all this program removal will leave remants in your registry.

The easiest way is to get her original XP install CD or even the Recovery CD and use it. The Recovery CD will put PC back to like it was out of the box.

Ron

lilrif

lilrif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
she took everything off here, which is fine...I just want to start all over "like new". I have the original XP Cd however it is a service pack one, and it will not let me install the xp because it says i am running a newer version...I guess all i need is to just reformat...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
don't forget to gather the drivers before reinstalling, sometimes the restore cd is not a license but just a key that opens an image stored on the harddrive meaning that if you reformat make sure that you have a real XP home cd, anyway, see if you can boot up on it before formatting the harddrive, also make sure that you have copies of programs too(office and such) thanks

lilrif

lilrif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I guess basically, i just want to delete the other user...I set up my own user account, and her files are still in there and i just want those gone....thank you in advance!!!!