Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Am I the world's biggest idiot?

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
So after many problems with putting together my first computer, I was finally ready to plug it all in and turn it on and see what happened. Then I found a problem I never anticipated: the monitor is incompatible with the new motherboard. I've never even heard of that happening, and it never occured to me to check before buying. The monitor wants to plug into a serial port, and the mobo has one... but they're both male plugs. Is this a problem other people have had, or am I insanely stupid?
More importantly, what do I do? I have done some quick searching online, and I found not a single mention of this problem. I assume (hope) there is some adapter that can be used? Wikipedia says that serial ports are going out of style altogether and some mobos don't even have them anymore, in which case, what do new monitors plug into? USBs? Can I get a USB adaptor for my monitor, and if so, is that the best solution?
Thanks

PS. While I'm here, the "Fan Only" plugs coming out of my PSU would not fit into my case fan plug. Any suggestions? There were various other things I couldn't get plugged in right, so I'm sure I'll have more questions soon...

Edited by Junkman, 23 July 2007 - 11:15 AM.

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
The first question, I cannot answer. I don't know how big you are :whistling: Sorry, it's like my daughter tells me, sometimes I think I'm funny!

Seriously though, on this page, Monitor connectors , can you tell me which one of these is like your monitor connection. Also does your computer have an onboard video card or did you install a video card?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Look at these pages. Does your monitor plug look like any of these?

http://en.wikipedia....i/VGA_connector
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI
http://en.wikipedia..../DE-9_connector

It sounds like you are using really old hardware with really new stuff. I do hope you haven't tried to power anything on yet, you may run the risk of seriously doing some damage that won't be covered by any warranties that you have.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Sounds like your mobo doesn't have onboard video. What you're seeing on the mobo is probably a male 9-pin DB connector. Your monitor cable should have a male 15-pin DB connector that is the same size and shape but has 15 pins (or places for pins) instead of 9.

The video out on the mobo should have a DB15 female connector and 15 holes. If it doesn't, you need a video card.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
God, I wish I would've followed cmw's link before I typed all that crap. Sheesh!!!

I guess I win the title and Junkman can only hope for 2nd biggest.

Edited by 98springer, 23 July 2007 - 07:17 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

God, I wish I would've followed cmw's link before I typed all that crap. Sheesh!!!

I guess I win the title and Junkman can only hope for 2nd biggest.

Okay, maybe we could start this thread in the random forum, it's getting pretty funny! :whistling:

And yes I would agree, it sounds like there's no onboard video and no video card, but we'll just have to wait and see.

(Can you hear it? I can hear it...)