Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Soft robot tends to humans' every needs

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Ri-Man is a 158cm caregiving robot developed in Japan by the Bio-Mimetic Control Research Center at government agency RIKEN. The 100kg machine is unique in that it is covered with soft, green silicone to make it both warm to the touch and soft. Sensitive skin

The reason for the user-friendly exterior lies in the fact the Ri-Man's future role will see it lifting bed-ridden or otherwise-disabled patients to carry them around their homes, hospitals or rehabilitation centres. Underneath that silicone skin are over 300 sensors and tiny motors that monitor how hard the human payload is pressing down and adjust the skin tension accordingly to make the ride more comfortable.

The machine's creators added an odour-detecting nose to enable it to detect scents such as gas and human urine, which is definitely a first for any robot we know.

http://uk.news.yahoo...ee-3a372c9.html

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i used to be a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) we learn alot of stuff about how to lift people and move them around and all kinds of stuff...i woudln't concider myself a weakling by any means...but i'm not a power lifting robot either...and i've seen people get dropped on the floor with multiple well trained and beefy people...i wouldn't trust a robot not to drop someone....

also....anyone else think the picture makes it look like they're gonna kiss?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
It looks like a scene from "All My Circuits"

Someone has to know what that is....

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

also....anyone else think the picture makes it look like they're gonna kiss?

hahaha :whistling: