Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I B Confoooozed

• Please log in to reply

Degarmo

Degarmo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

Now I have tried almost everything to sort this problem out, bar a format.

My system is old n slow, like me.

Before I embarress myself by listing the specs.......I am going to give details of the problem.

Basically its a random freezing of the system. As if the PC's has been locked in time......clock says the time it lockeds up.....mouse dead, keyboard dead....everything dead.

Reboot required to re-start.

The freeze can occur before I click my user name or after 2, 3 4 or more hours, usually more like within the firast hour.

One thing that baffles me, and might hold a clue. If I have a game running, can be full screen or minimized to the task bar, or if im watching a film......it doesnt crash.

I havent got a clue, but maybe its really obvious to some clever techie out there.

I would appreciate your help.

Cheers

Guy

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Before I would do anything with the PC plugged in, try removing the case and do a thorough cleaning of fans, power supply and especially the fins on the heatsink of the processor. Use one of those canned compressed air or dusters as they may be called available at Office Max, Office Depot, Radio Shack, etc.. Any local computer store should have them.

Do not touch anything like the motherboard or PCI cards without holding your hand against the computer's frame for a few seconds. Use a wrist strap if you have one. Usually just a few seconds of touch is good. Make sure power cord is UNPLUGGED.

Don't know how techie you may feel, but usually the heatsink on old PCs could use a new coat of thermal grease. Some of these are easy to take off. Some require a screwdriver. Just do not remove processor with heatsink unless you note orientation of pins. Easily fried if inserted incorrectly at power on.

If applying thermal compound to heatsink is not for you, just clean insides thoroughly. Make sure all cables are properly seated. They don't take much force to reseat into connectors. Same for PCI and memory cards. Usually you can eyeball these and notice any askew.

Leave case off and plug PC in. Power on and see if fans run normally. Hopefully, you'll get a normal boot after the cleaning process. If you get a normal boot into Windows, do you know how do to a Disk Cleanup and a Defragmentation of HD?

I imagine you are trying to run a lot of stuff with less memory then you realize. Please list PC specs in next post and the O/S you are running on old PC.

Hope I covered everything. Probably not. LOL

Ron

Degarmo

Degarmo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Cheers Ron

I have previously covered most of the bases, inc cleaning checking cons etc.

I am quite happy to re-check it all. Compressed air and re-applying the thermal grease later this afternoon.

Started a defrag last night, but if froze sometime during, around 23% ( I will run it again later with spongebob movie on repeat :whistling: )

I'll be back.

Cheers

Guy

Degarmo

Degarmo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Heres my spec.....please dont laff.

Windows Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

Memory (RAM) 768 MB

CPU AMD Athlon™ XP 1800+

CPU Speed 1527.2 MHz

Sound card Realtek AC97 Audio

Display Adapters Radeon X1650 Series | Radeon X1650 Series Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD

Screen Resolution 1280 X 1024 - 16 bit

Network Adapters Bluetooth PAN Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport | Zoom Wireless-G USB - Packet Scheduler Miniport | VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport

CD / DVD Drives F: LITE-ON LTR-52327S | G: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S | H: OW5310B MQA192L

COM Ports COM3 | COM4 | COM5 | COM6 | COM7 | COM8 | COM9 | COM10 | COM11 | COM12 | COM13 | COM1 | COM2

LPT Ports LPT1

Mouse 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present

Hard Disks C: 57.3GB | D: 37.3GB | E: 149.0GB

Hard Disks - Free C: 11.2GB | D: 17.3GB | E: 12.5GB

USB Controllers 4 host controllers.

Firewire (1394) 1 host controllers.

Manufacturer Phoenix Technologies, LTD

Product Make KT400-8235

AC Power Status OnLine

BIOS Info ATAT COMPATIBLE 111202 KT400 42302e31

Time Zone GMT Standard Time

Battery No Battery

Motherboard http://www.abit.com.tw/ KD7(VIA KT400-8235)

Modem Bluetooth Fax Modem Bluetooth DUN Modem Bluetooth LAP Modem Bluetooth LAP Modem #2

I havent had a chance to blow the cobwebs out and repaint the grease, but I will.

Cheers

Guy

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I never "laff" at people's PC specs. Not after some PCs I've had. If you get the PC to boot up normally after cleaning and checking fans visually, you might download SpeedFan or Everest Home Edition to check temps as given by sensors. Will also show lots of good info may may want to use. Probably wouldn't hurt to try to get some driver updates from the manufacturer's sites.

Is this what was reported about CMOS battery?:

Battery No Battery

If PC is really old, that battery may need replacing.

Ron