Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extracting data from one WS to another WS

• Please log in to reply

dBuster2007

dBuster2007

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a spread sheet that has multiple sheets.

I am looking to find a way to on one worksheet to get data from another worksheet based on criteria.

IE.

On worksheet 1
I have columns A thru D and multiple rows varying each time used.

On worksheet 2 I want to be able to pull and display the contents from Worksheet 1 Column A when the data in column D matches a criteria...

So if WS 1 has

A B C D
abc 1 2 3
cde 1 2 1
efg 1 2 4
ghi 1 2 2

I would like WS2 to display the contents of Column A when the value in Column D is greater than one. Which would then be

WS2
abc
efg
ghi

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you would put this into the cell you want the info to appear in

=IF(Sheet1!C1>1,Sheet1!A1,0)
where Sheet1 is the sheet you want to test against
C1 is the cell in that sheet that you want to have to be greater than 1
then A1 is the cell that has the contents that you have show up in sheet2
the 0 at the end is what the cell will be if the criteria ISN"T matched

what that does is it checks column C in sheet1 to see if it's greater than 1, if it is then it makes any cell that i put that formula in display the contents of the corresponding cell in column A from sheet1 depending on the row (so if on WS2 you put this formula in cell A3 and cell C3 is greater than one...then WS2:A3 will display the contents of WS1:A3)

is this what you want?

dBuster2007

dBuster2007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sort of...

I want the data from WS1 to be displayed on WS2 after other data that is already on WS2

So on WS2 I would have a list of items and then at the bottom of that list would be the data from WS1... I know about the If statement to get the data and that would work if I wanted it spaced out like that... But I want it to list only those fields from column A where they meet the criteria and not when they do not and to have them put beneath other data already on WS2...

If you dont understand I can try to post an image here of what it looks like...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...know what you're looking for...but right off teh bat i've got no idea how to do it hehe

dBuster2007

dBuster2007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I know I can do it with Macros but they are disabled on most of the pc's here at work... Wish there was a way around the macros being disabled.

Want to automate the process as much as possible eliminating the human error factor as we have too much of that going on....

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Yes, it would be relatively easy to do with a macro. Not so sure otherwise. Will have to have a think......