Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to delete folder

• Please log in to reply

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello,

a while back I noticed 2 strange folders appeared on my external hard drive. They are named with a series of numbers and letters, and inside both of them is a i386 folder. Now I did some research and realize that the i386 folder is supposed to be important, however, it is on an external drive that isn't always on, and I have had problems when it's off, and not to mention the fact that they are both empty, or so windows tells me as I can get inside them.

Not the biggest problem in the world, but annoying at that. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of these folders?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Click on My Computer > tools > folder options > view. Check the box of Hide Protected Operating System Files > Apply > OK. See if it solved the problem.

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
that option was already selected, and the folders are still visible.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Quote from first post "it is on an external drive that isn't always on, and I have had problems when it's off". Could you explain what problems you had when "it's off"?

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
ack, terribly sorry. That's a typo. I meant to say, I have not had problems when it is off, so the folders must not be needed.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I look at my external HD right now (IDE in a usb enclosure) and there are two folders which only show when you uncheck "Hide system files....". The folders are Recycler which contain a number of files that have no names but numbers and another folder, System Volume Information, which is not accessible. Both folders are created when you first format the disk.

I don't know at the moment why they show up on your disk when "hide ... etc" is checked. I'll keep looking for a solution.