Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Import Sender Filter List

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I exported my sender filter list from exchange by using this command:
ldifde -m -f senderfilter.ldf -r "(objectCategory=msExchSMTPTurfList)" 
-d "cn=configuration,dc=yourdomain " -l msExchTurfListNames

I looked at it, added somethings and went to import it back on the same server using:
ldifde -i -f senderfilter.ldf

This is the error that I receive when I try and do that:
Connecting to "server.domain.com"
Logging in as current user using SSPI
Importing directory from file "senderfilter.ldf"
Loading entriesThere is a syntax error in the input file
Failed on line 1.  The last token starts with '"'.
0 entries modified successfully.
An error has occurred in the program
No log files were written.  In order to generate a log file, please
specify the log file path via the -j option.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you compared the two files (the old and the new) to see what the syntax error might be?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I modified stuff towards the bottom but when it mentions the first line it confuses me, because this is what the output looks like:

dn: CN=Default Message Filter,CN=Message Delivery,CN=Global Settings,CN=DOMAIN,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com
changetype: add
msExchTurfListNames: *@012.net.il
msExchTurfListNames: *@11005Newsletters.com
msExchTurfListNames: *@163data.com.cn

So I never modified those first couple lines. I get a little confused when it mentions "last token"

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I tried this again, with only one entry so my output looked like this:
dn: CN=Default Message Filter,CN=Message Delivery,CN=Global Settings,CN=DOMAIN,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com
msExchTurfListNames: @donkey.com.br.an.il

Without touching anything I went ahead and ran the import, this time it said this:
Connecting to "server.domain.com"
Logging in as current user using SSPI
Importing directory from file "senderfilter.ldf"
Loading entriesAdd error on line 2: Object Class Violation
The server side error is "The object class attribute must be specified."
0 entries modified successfully.
An error has occurred in the program
No log files were written.  In order to generate a log file, please
specify the log file path via the -j option.

Just getting myself more and more confused / frustrated.

Edited by jaxisland, 24 July 2007 - 08:22 AM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
WOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!
3 days of work, no answers on google, never used ldifde before and I found my answer. I am going to post this answer with full expectations of many other people needing the solution. I would still post the answer even if I though no one would use it, but regardless, here it is:

Make sure you use the same directory everytime in the command prompt!!!!

So when you run:
ldifde -m -f senderfilter.ldf -r "(objectCategory=msExchSMTPTurfList)" 
-d "cn=configuration,dc=domain,dc=com " -l msExchTurfListNames
you are left with senderfilter.ldf file that when opened with notepad will similar to this:

(all addresses in sender filtering tab in exchange manager should show up, I used only the first two for this example)

The few people that talked about this on the web said that you can just import this file back, from what I have seen, that is not true. To successfully import this file back into your exchange server open the senderfilter.ldf and change it to this:
changetype: modify
add: msExchTurfListNames
Save the file and run:
ldifde -i -f senderfilter.ldf

Thats it, I use this to export my list, make huge changes, then import it back in.

Good Luck!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
jebus....what the heck are you modifying anyway? the SMTP "allowed" list?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Do a 180, its the blocked list. I was testing exchanges ability to filter emails using its sender filtering feature. Problem was a few of the forum type emails were getting blocked and it took a while for me to get it where I wanted it. But as that was going on, I was accumulating a list of spam domains in my Trend Micro.
So I have a partial list in exchange and a partial list in Trend.
Exported both files, combined them and came up with one master list. Now Trend will just take a text file and import it but it needs to be in this format:
@spamdomain.com

Exchange needs it in:
msExchTurfListNames: *@spamdomain.com

So I took my master list and made two seperate lists in different formats. Imported into Trend no problem, then I had the problem with Exchange so now thats in. Currently they both have the same lists, a little redundant, but I despise spam. The reason I wanted to use the exchange feature is it drops the connection and doesnt use internal resources to filter the spam, unlike Trend which picks it up once its received.
Now I will still update both just in case, plus Trend gives me the allowed lists, content filter, etc.

Plus I have to admit, when I see someone say it can be done, than it doesnt work, I will lose sleep until I figure it out.

Edited by jaxisland, 24 July 2007 - 10:04 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Plus I have to admit, when I see someone say it can be done, than it doesnt work, I will lose sleep until I figure it out.

right there with ya buddy

have you guys looked into a standalone hardware spam sollution instead of using software like trend? or using trend as a backup to a hardware sollution? i've got a barracuda networks spam firewall 300 (as well as a webfilter 310) and i love the thing...really easy to set up and monitor...block lists created on the fly....virus checking etc... really nice box...and it does all the filtering before it gets to your exchange machine...so that's nice

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I havent really looked into it. I will definitely check it out. We have under 100 mailboxes right now, so between exchange and trend it works well. Is Barracuda something that works for smaller size networks. I expect to hit 100 mailboxes in 18 months or so.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...there's a model 200 that's a little less costly..but subsequently has less bells and whistles...i.'ve got less than 100 mailboxes that my 300 manages and it works like a champ....

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...the new firmware on these devices uses a bulk edit feature...so you could just dump your current list from trend right into it with a simple copy paste deal

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

uses a bulk edit feature...so you could just dump your current list from trend right into it with a simple copy paste deal

Ha where is the fun in that?

That sounds easy and helpful and would make my job easier. So the catch must be.....what are the cost of these units?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the 300 that i have is $1999...then a 3 year subscription for their energizer updates and instant replacement is about $2300 (one year for both is only $1000)....so on the grand scale...not terribly expensive

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
nah not too bad. I will take a look. Thanks for the info.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Do you know if the barracuda's limit how many blocked domains it can have?

I have about 4,000 but Trend will only support 2,000.

Thanks