Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a system fan

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I purchased a system fan for my computer. The power cable has a female connector. The only cable that I have left on my PSU is a female. I need a male to male connector/adapter/i don't know.

I've looked all around the internet and I found Y splitters but they all had a male connector with 2 female connectors coming off of it. I need at least 1 male connector coming off of it but my best scenario would be to have 2 male connectors coming off of it because I need one for my FDD. I've already found a splitter for it but would rather not pay for 2 adapters or fill up my tower with unneeded cables.

Can someone help?

Denise

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
What type of connector is on your fan? Is it a regular 4 pin 12v connector? Your FDD has its own type of power connector. As far as I know there is not a fan made that uses a FDD power connection so you won't be able to split off to power a fan and FDD.

Edited by cmw2010, 23 July 2007 - 06:26 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I'm glad you told me that

there is not a fan made that uses a FDD power connection so you won't be able to split off to power a fan and FDD.

The plug from the PSU for the FDD is a molex and I needed a berg. The two available PSU plugs are female. I need a male for my FDD and a male for my system fan. The system fan has a molex 4-pin female adapter. Since the PSU has only a female adapter and the system fan has a female adapter, I couldn't connect the fan.

I found a 5-1/4 male to male power gender changer cable to connect the fan, and a 5-1/4 to 3-1/2 male molex to female berg power adapter cable for the FDD. It took me hours to find them.

Thanks for responding and your advice.

Denise

litefogg

litefogg

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dude, don't tire yourself. It's only wires. Cut off the female connector and attatch a male one. :whistling:

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
And generally there are additional 3 or 4 pin fan plugs on the mother board. Am I right?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Yes, there are additional fan plugs on my mobo and after you just mentioned it, I looked at the wires that are attached to the fan. The molex plug is attached to the fan wires with a 3-pin adapter. I'll check my mobo manual to see where I can plug it in.

If I'm doing this wrong, please let me know. I built the pc but I'm an extreme newbie. I'm lucky it runs. I learned a lot but I have a lot more to learn. I didn't think to check the connector.

Denise

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
The learning process never ends. The mobo should rcocgnize the fan and adjust speed accordingly. Did you just purchase an Antec fan? Sounds like the on I just purchased, but I installed it to a molex because it has a 3 speed adjuster and if I want really cool operating temps I just turn it on high. Sounds like you're on the right path tho'.

Edited by MarkN, 24 July 2007 - 11:21 AM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
The fan is a "Termaltake 120x120x25, model TT 12025A-1B1S, Rated Voltage 12V, Started Voltage 6V, fan speed 2000 rpm"

It doesn't say on the hard plastic box that it came in that it has variable speeds and there aren't any instructions either. I also looked at the description on the net and it doesn't say that it's variable speed. I don't do gaming and I won't be overclocking so I think the fan will do the job.

Denise

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I just looked it up and it has a 3 pin connector, correct? If so you should be able to plug it directly into your mother board. Find a schematic of your motherboard, mine has 3 and 4 pin connections for additional fans. but you are right, if you are not doing intensive gaming or over clocking it should work fine.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I checked the mobo manual and there's 2 system fan power headers, JSFAN1 and JSFAN2. JSFAN2 will have to be used because JSFAN1 is on the other side of the mobo and I'd be crossing other wires and cables to get to it.

Thanks for your help and advice :whistling:

Denise

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I am glad I could help. Once installed you might want to go into BIOS and see if it has been recognized and the speed it is running at. Just a suggestion to check the operation of the fan. Have a good day!