Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Ram chips will not function together!

• Please log in to reply

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a ECS 755-A2 motherboard. I have had 2 ram chips in it for some time. At one point both of which worked. They are PC 3200 DDR 400 two sticks of 512. I thought maybe it was my power supply but I replaced that recently. I have the most up to date bios and I have tested the ram sticks on both slots alone and they always work. But when I put them together only 1 512 sticks is noticed. The motherboard has the ability to have 2 gigs of ram so I don't know what the problem is. Like I said they worked together at one time. So i'm wondering if something is just wrong in the bios or if there is something I can change. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
RAM is a common failure in PCs. Check each stick using memtest. Run memtest with one stick in at a time. Does your board only have two RAM slots?

Click here for a guide to using Memtest

Click here to download memtest

Let us know how the results go.

Edited by Titan8990, 24 July 2007 - 02:01 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also ECS motherboards have been known to be very picky about which sticks it can run. Are these two RAM modules exactly the same (brand, model, speed etc) - also called a matched pair?

It may have decided somehow that it didn't like the pair you are using anymore.

Goodfortitude

Goodfortitude

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey, RuthandRoy. How are you? I just wanted you to know (incase you don't remember), you helped me with my MB before and Omega Supreme has the exact same MB that I do, the ECS 755-A2 (pain in the butt). Anyway, for what it's worth, Supreme, I finally just came to the conclusion that I was going to have to just start shelling out the cash and simply buy two brand new 1 GB sticks at the same time that are identical. And, probably, ones that are known to be compatible to the ECS 755-A2. Let me know what you are able to find out 'cause I'm still holding out for current lack of funds. I'll be watching...GF.

Edited by Goodfortitude, 12 August 2007 - 12:13 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Goodfortitude, I'm good. Thanks for asking, don't get much of that on these forums! :whistling:

If I were you, I would save up and get a different motherboard instead, I really don't like ECS motherboards. I just managed to sell a second-hand system in my local paper, I've been working on it for weeks to get the RAM right. It was the only problem with the system, but I finally settled on two different 256MB sticks (different manufacturer, different speed) and somehow it seemed to work... Don't ask me! I don't know! Then I started stress-testing and it worked really well - no errors at all, so I just got rid of it and I'm never touching an ECS mobo again if I can help it!