Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help! How do I password protect my workgroup?

• Please log in to reply

everclear_52

everclear_52

• Pip
  • 1 posts
K, here's the deal. I have 3 computers in my apartment.

My desktop, running windows XP Pro
My laptop, running Vista
and my ROOMMATES computer (not sure what he's running)

We are all running off of a Wireless Router that has a WPA password. (I gave my roommate the WPA password so he could use the internet)

I just recently setup my own workgroup so I can share files wirelessly between my desktop and laptop computer. And also print from my laptop wirelessly. Everything seems to be working fine except I can't find a way to password protect the folders I'm sharing! This is what I need help with, I've looked everywhere! The way I have it setup now, my roommate could simply go into my workgroup I've created and SEE whatever he wants too, this is what I'm trying to eliminate. I know I can disable the "Write" function for "Everyone", however if I did that, it would eliminate the Write function for ME as well...and I don't want to have to keep switching back and forth. Plus I don't want him to be able to see what's in my folders anyway.

I've already disabled simple file sharing. And I know how to go into the Sharing and Security and can see the permissions and stuff, but HOW exactly do I create a password. It gives me the options to Add a new user...but it won't let me add anything when I try. I hope my question makes sense. Please help me out here.

[honestly i'm sure my roommate wouldn't 't screw with my files, but I just wanna learn how to do this anyway]

thanks.

Daniel

Edited by everclear_52, 23 July 2007 - 11:29 PM.

Advertisements