Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot receive Emails using Outlook Express 2003

• Please log in to reply

Sue_38

Sue_38

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have been getting these error messages today

Posted Image

I've checked with my ISP provider, and they have said that I have to reconfigure my Outlook.

Is anyone able to help? :whistling:

many thanks.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Sue_38!

Did your ISP provide you with all the settings for your account? If so, making those changes is fairly easy. In Outlook, click Tools, Email Accounts, Next, highlight your account and click Change. The first screen have User information and Server information. The More Settings button will give you some addtional and advanced settings that may be necessary for your account. If one small thing is wrong, you won't be able to send/receive email.

If your ISP hasn't given you the settings, you should call them back and go though the above in Outlook with them on the phone.

Sue_38

Sue_38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi there

As soon as they found out I was using Microsoft Outlook, they said they didn't support that, and said I would have to reconfigure it.
????

Sue_38

Sue_38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Actually I've just realised, that I am using Microsoft Outlook, and therefore my title above is wrong. :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Have you ever been able to send/receive in Outlook?

Your ISP still should give you the settings. You might check on their website for the mail settings. Who is your ISP?

Sue_38

Sue_38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
yes, it's always been OK, until this morning.

My provider is Virgin Media in the UK.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Here's the link that shows the settings. Just double check that everything is correct.

And sure enough, Microsoft Outlook is not listed on the site. Hhmmm.

Sue_38

Sue_38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
well, I've checked things here in the Email Account options, and everything seems to be same.

I've just clicked on Test Account Settings and got this error message.

Posted Image

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Sue_38.

What might have happened with your computer the day or so before the problem? Did you install/uninstall anything? Any power issues?

You could try System Restore. This doesn't affect user files, just sets the system files back. Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time", then pick a choose a day before the issue started. Follow the prompts to finish. The computer will reboot. Once Windows comes back you, you'll get a message whether or not restore worked.

Sue_38

Sue_38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hello!

I managed to sort it. I was going to log onto here today to let you know.

It was a conflict with my Norton Internet Security. The day before it was going mad updating Live Update, popping up every 10 mins or so.

Anyhow, I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and that has resolved this issue.

thanks for your advice though.

Sue :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Very good to hear :whistling: