Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print Spooler Deleted Out Of XP Services

• Please log in to reply

utbronco

utbronco

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Somehow I deleted the Print Spooler out of the Services menu. How can I get it back without rebuilding XP??

Thanks for the help!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\system32 and then click OK.

Note %windir% represents the folder where Windows is installed.

2. Right-click the spoolsv file, and then click Rename.

3. Type oldspool, and then press ENTER.

4. Insert the Windows XP disk in the computer's CD or DVD drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the disk to prevent the Windows XP installation from starting automatically.

5. Click Start, click Run, type expand CD drive:\i386\spoolsv.ex_ %windir%\system32\spoolsv.exe, and then click OK.

Notes• Make sure that there is a character space between spoolsv.ex_ and %windir%.

• CD drive represents the drive letter of the CD or DVD drive that contains the Windows XP disk. For example, if the letter of the CD or DVD drive is E, type the following, and then click OK:

expand E:\i386\spoolsv.ex_ %windir%\system32\spoolsv.exe

6. Restart the computer.

utbronco

utbronco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am really appreciating your help!!!

I do not have a spoolsv folder, what I'm finding is spool

Is this the same folder? I didnt' want to try the rest of your process until I know if spool is the same as spoolsv?

Thanks again, so much!!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It would depend on the way you went about deleting it

Can you click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for spoolsv

Do you get 7 of them, one in C:\WINDOWS\system32

utbronco

utbronco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks again Keith!!

I was looking at a spool folder and found further in the list the spoolsv.exe. I followed your suggestion and renamed it to Oldspool. I loaded the xp cd and expanded the file. It appeared to work. I restarted the laptop. When I looked in the System32 folder again the spoolsv.exe is there. When I did a search on spoolsv I found three, two in system32 and one spoolsv.ex in I386. I was looking in hidden files as well. I also did a search on Oldspool and found it as well.

When I go into services there is no print spool service. When I try to add a printer under control panel\printers I get a message that the print spooler service is not running.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which make and model printer

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter

This should run a long scan, reboot when it says done

utbronco

utbronco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I completed the scan and rebooted. I tried to add a printer and received the same message.

I am running a Dell 966 Wireless Printer. I recently (2 1/2 months ago) bought a Dell E1705 Laptop the added the printer before the order was shipped. The printer is functioning well with my Dell Laptop. It was functioning well with this IBM Thinkpad before either I deleted something that caused the Print Spooler problem or it got whacked when cleaning up after a infestation of virus or spyware.

I cleaned up all references to the Dell 966 printer after I found that it wasn't working from this IBM Thinkpad. I have tried several times to reload the printer software but it cannot find the printer on my home network. When I do a ping to the IP of the printer that works so I know it is there, and obviously it is because I'm still using it from my Dell Laptop on the wireless network. I had Dell on the phone yesterday and they finally said that I would have to reload XP to get the problem fixed in order to load the printer software. I really hate to have to reload XP. This IBM Thinkpad belongs to another person in our family and they have a lot of pictures and music on it that would have to be backed up. Oh I know, it should be backed up anyway, but the Thinkpad is running so well they hate to have me working on it. I just want the print function to work for them, that is whey we bought a wireless printer.

Thanks for listening to me go on and on!!
Dave

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got lexbce in services

How recently was the printer running on the thinkpad

utbronco

utbronco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Lexbce is not in Services.

The printer was working about a week and a half ago. I have looked at a system restore but there are no restore points prior to the printer not working.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is this

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Advertisements

utbronco

utbronco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Keith, thank you so much for your help. I am resigned to running the xp repair as you have recommended. I have some things to do and then I'm going to back up the important personal files just in case then I'll be following your instructions. I'll let you know how everything turns out!!

Thanks again, your terrific!!
Dave

utbronco

utbronco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Keith, The IBM Thinkpad I'm trying to repair is running XP Professional. I cannot find the recovery CD, if I ever got one. I was going to use the XP Recovery disk from my Dell however I discovered that edition is XP Home. Is there a way to download the software I need, burn it to a CD and then do the work on the IBM THinkpad??

Thanks
Dave

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the thinkpad have a model number

utbronco

utbronco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip