Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Log into Win XP Logon Screen, Get Immediate Logoff

• Please log in to reply

Darryljet

Darryljet

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Tuesday, 2007-July-23rd

I have several Windows XP Home & Professional machines, that after they boot up and you are sitting there with the Windows XP logon screen for the accounts that were created, and I click, put in the password, They get logged off ASAP. The user will get logged off even if they don't have a password ... just click on there username, and they go right back to the user screen. All the machines got infected by not practicing safe computing. I've tried to boot up in safe mode, but no luck either.

So big problem, has anyone seen this problem and is there a way to fix it by downloading a virus removal tool and booting from a CD to fix it?

Thanks for your speedy response and help, much appreciated!!

Darryl

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try a Windows repair?
Alternatively wiping your machine might be the only way forward, seeing as in XP you can't do anything without actually logging into an account.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you suspect that malware infected your computers then you should post to the malware forum of G2G. Since all the computers are infected all will have to go through the same procedure otherwise they may infect each other again.

Use the link in my signature for the malware forum and take the preliminary steps to each and every one of your computers. Then If the problems persist post to the forum and wait for instructions. had it been only one computer you could also post a HJT log. Since there are some computers to deal with I would suggest that you wait for instructions.