Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Power

• Please log in to reply

Omoplata

Omoplata

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I installed a new graphics card on my GT5432 and it worked fine for 1 month. It is a brand new computer and I have not even submitted the windows Vista code in yet. I upgraded the graphics card so my son could play video games.

After a gameing session, the computer was shut down, to never turn on again. I am worried that because I broke the seal to install the new card, that ruined the warranty but I probably am missing something obvious.

Could Vista lock my computer because I did not register the code for the first 40 days? I did alternate different powercords and also remove the new graphics card - still no go.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Omoplata

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What video card did you install? What seal are you refering to? Does the computer boot if you take the graphics card back out? What kind of power supply are you running this video card on? Are you able to get into the BIOS?

Omoplata

Omoplata

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Specifications

I added a Nvidia 7400 256 meg video card. It workd fine for a month, until I shut it down 1 week ago and it has not powered up since then. No lights nothing. I removed this video card and still the problem persists.

Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5000+ (dual-core) 64-bit processor with AMD64 Technology operates at 2.6GHz | 2 x 512KB L2 Cache, 2000MHz System Bus
Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium*
Chipset
nVidia® GeForce® 6150SE Chipset
Memory
1024MB dual-channel DDR2 Memory (2 x 512MB), 533MHz (PC4200)
Expandable to 4GB
4 DDR2 Slots (Total), 2 DDR2 Slots (Available)
Video
NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE Integrated Graphics
Up to 128MB of Shared Video Memory
PCI-Express (PCI-E x16) slot available for upgrade
Audio
8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
Amplified stereo speakers (USB Powered)
Hard Drive
320GB SATA II (7200rpm, 8MB Cache)10
Optical Drives
DVD+/-RW 16x multiformat dual-layer optical drive
Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media
Write max: 16x DVD+/-R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW disks
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM disks

Digital Media Manager™
High-Performance 15-in-1 Digital Media Manager™ xD-Picture Card™, CompactFlash I (CF), CompactFlash II, Secure Digital™ (SD), Mini Secure Digital™ (Mini SD™)7, Multi Media Card™ (MMC), Reduced Size MMC (RS-MMC)7, MMC Mobile7, MMC Plus, Memory Stick™ (MS), Memory Stick Duo8, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Pro Duo8, SmartMedia, IBM Microdrive™
Communications
56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Interfaces
6 USB 2.0 Ports (2 Front, 4 Rear)
2 IEEE 1394 port (1 Front, 1 Rear)
1 VGA
1 Parallel Port
1 Serial Port
2 PS/2 Ports (Keyboard and Mouse)
6 Audio (Rear): Front/Headphone (Stereo), Rear (Stereo), Center/Sub, Microphone, Line-in (Stereo), Side (Stereo)
2 Audio (Front): Microphone, Front/Headphone (Stereo)
1 RJ-45 Ethernet Port
1 RJ-11 Modem Port
Expansion Slots

Expansion Bays Total
1 - PCI-E x16
1 - PCI-E x1
2 - PCI

Total
3 - 3½"
2 - 5¼" Available
1 - PCI-E x16
1 - PCI-E x1
1 - PCI

Gateway Portable Media Drive Bay

Input Devices
Premium multimedia keyboard
USB optical 2-button wheel mouse

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
From what you're saying (the system appears to be dead), you've most likely blown the power supply. Most branded computers only install power supplies that will run what the system came with originally with little room for anything else. So your adding the new card has probably overloaded the power supply, which now needs replacing.

Normally any standard size power supply (at least 450w) will do the job. Just swap it out with the one that's in now.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I was getting at that as well. Omoplata is a nice move btw.

Omoplata

Omoplata

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks guys! I was coming to that conclusion myself.

Yeppers ... always loved Omoplata ... it is the staple diet of us BJJ'ers who also do Yoga :whistling: :blink: :help:

mbar

mbar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I have a similar question.

I recently got the exact same Gateway computer detailed in the earlier post and I purchased a new Nvidea GeForce 8500GT video card to upgrade the card that comes with the system. The card says that it requires a minimum of 350 watt or greater power supply. I can't figure out how to tell if the Gateway computer I bought has this required amount of power or if I will run into the same problem the previous poster did. Anyone willing to help me out?

Also, assuming I need a new power supply, how does one go about adding it? How difficult is it? I've added vide/sound cards before but I've never done anything with power supply before.

And a final question, can I just insert the new video card, and install the driver or do I first need to disable the existing video card? Assuming I need to do that, do I do it through device manager (which seems easy enough) or is it something I need to do through BIOS settings since it's an integrated video card?

Sincere thanks in advance to anyone willing to shed some light on the above for me. I am obviously not that skilled when it comes to computers so I REALLY appreciate any time any of you take to answer my questions.

Again, thanks.

Mbar