Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista :(

• Please log in to reply

confusedinMich

confusedinMich

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I've had Vista for 24 hours now and I don't like it yet. To bad they didn't still send an in depth manual that I could physically hold and read. I was surprised(?) and now not sure - I have a LynkSys Wireless Adapter for the internet. When I installed it on the old XP computer it confused me so I contacted support to help me. Well, last night I downloaded the Vista driver for it, put the stick in the usb port a screen came up asking me for a passphrase (still don't understand that) so I entered the number from the router hit enter and I was then connected to the internet! Just like that! Now I wonder if I messed it up but decided if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I do not like the google sidebar - can live without it. Anyone know if it can be safely removed? Did they tie it in with the ability to search your computer? I'l like to know how everything works on Vista so I'll know what I can or can't remove. I wonder if this os was made so simple even a cave man could do it :whistling: - there's something -I don't know- odd about Vista. I hate that a box pops up whenever I move a file.

I'm recording TV for the first time on Vista - now that will be a huge factor in how well I like it. As for the drivers, so far I've been fortunate I've found all the Vista drivers except for my Creative Web Cam Instant

Well, thanks for listening to my rantings. Have a great day!

Advertisements

CycleRob

CycleRob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I also have some letdown feelings about it after 1 month use.

What's most annoying to me is the configuration of the right click "Save As" window. The changes I make to the columns from the default "File, Size, Type, Comment, . . . . . .etc" only apply to that folder and are not global. Somewhere there is a setting to make it permanent and global, but MS brainiacs decided that on the menubar is not where to put it. BTW, the absence of menuitems and the ADMIN USER'S inability to add/arrange them (like FireFox) is really frustrating for the billion dollars that went into spawning the Vista BloatWare OS. A new, more expensive, 8 GigaByte OS should dazzle, please, gratify, outperform the previous and elevate the prestiege of those who own it. For me it is NONE of those things!!

One Vista plus: there are many new deaktop sounds (.WAV) that are brief, intuitive and quite pleasant. It's prolly the only thing you can copy and use on your other, older PC's.

If you have XP -or- can buy a new machine with it, be glad and enjoy!

IMHO . . . MS blew it bigtime.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To be honest with you operating systems are getting to the point where the can't really add to much more without using a lot of ressources as we have seen from Vista and continue to see with the need of 2GB of RAM to game.

I wouldn't call it a blowout but I can see it becoming increasingly difficult for inovation of new idea's for the OS's without ticking the users of off with even greater requirements, this I believe is one of the reasons why we will only find DX10 on Vista, because other then that the is no draw what so ever for gamers to the new OS. The next OS coming from MS will only be 64bit which will make things interesting because it'll raise the bar and force programs to become 64bit compatible, but other then that I can't see that much more stuff being new, however we'll have to wait and see.....

I wouldn't say this OS is a let down, but lets face it, we expect more and more out of companies, maybe more then what can be expected. ?

James

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive been using it for what will soon be a year and to be honest its not all been fun and games(in the early days at least) its been perfectly adequate certainly an improvement over XP but i wasnt expecting a huge leap, to me the biggest improvement is that Vista is quite a bit more robust than XP, allot of idiot proofing was done some people dont like it but if you know where to look everything you need for some of the more advanced things is still around removing it from the main interface to me was a good idea because it helps keep away the people that think they know what they are doing but don't really.

So far its given me allot fewer headaches than XP did, which always required allot of active and preventative maintenance along with for me installing a new user interface in the form of aston shell.

I like it, it is an improvement to me i dont have the time to mess around with my computer as much as i did in high school so its a real big plus that vista is so much easier to use.

If you want super customisable and incredibly fast use linux, Vista is windows its funny that people seem to get and expect to get something that isnt windows and are annoyed when what they get is windows slightly faster, easier to use and a little better looking just like every windows iteration before it they are never revolutionary differences for that you have things like the new multi touch OS MS are building but its not windows.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I think Windows Vista is a fine OS, if you have the hardware. Here's my thoughts on why such a great OS is generating a generally poor response from new users:

I get a huge amount of people who tell me that they heard Windows Vista is way too buggy and is not worth upgrading from XP yet. I think the reason for this is that the beta testing for Vista went way too public and it created this aura of concern. Now, it seems, that everyone thinks that the bugs found during the beta testing are still present today. I'm not sure how many of those bugs are still present, but I know it's not nearly as many as people think.

Also, I have to admit, I think M$ was thinking WAY too far ahead on this operating system. Vista is not intended for many of the machines I have seen it sold on. (Celeron processor, 512MB, with integrated Intel graphics trying to run Vista Basic is a joke). I think that M$ overestimated how many people would just throw out their P4 with 1GB RAM and run to the nearest electronics store waving cash around saying "I NEED A VISTA COMPUTER" :help: . Those people that walk out of the store with a Core2Quad with 3GB of memory and at least some form of Nvidia 7000+ series graphics, enjoy your new Vista. As for the other 90 - 95% (exaggeration?) of us who want our current machines to run Vista, M$ wasn't thinking about us when they made this. :)

I have seen Core2Duo computers with 2GB of memory running Vista just as slow as a P4 with 256MB running Windows XP. :whistling:

Give it about another year, and a Service Pack or two, and I think Vista will be a nice OS. Till then, XP does everything I need, but faster than Vista. :blink:

Just my two cents, and I am open to criticism about anything I said. :help: