Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Challenge - See if you can figure this out!

• Please log in to reply

debdot

debdot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have windows xp and have been having this problem for a couple of years and i have spoken to many people who cannot figure this out.

my problem is that whenever i am instant messaging on AIM the session gets cut off - we have to constantly send messages to ourselves to keep the connection - if there is any interruption we get cut off

i also have this problem when downloading - if i try to play something from youtube or the like it does not even make if half way through and it just freezes

a little background - i have two computers on this network - it used to be wireless but we thought that may be problem so i had everything hard wired

any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated since i have spoken to numersou people, my internet provider (which is IE) and also aol to no avail.

thanks a million

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi debdot...

I'll take a shot in the dark...

Is the network adapter configured to turn off to conserve power when inactive? You can check by right clicking the device in Device Manager, choosing Properties, and clicking on the Power Management tab.

wannabe1

Fletchi18

Fletchi18

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've seen incorrect MTU (maximum transmission unit) settings cause problems like this. I think a setting of 1500 or 1488 is the normal (I might be wrong, but it's somewhere around there...). This would be changed on your router.