Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Attaching new hard drive...

• Please log in to reply

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
When trying to attach my new 320-GB hard drive (SATA/300 interface, from Seagate), the "manual" (it's about five pages long, the rest is on the CD) says that when attaching drives larger than 137 GB my computer has to have better than 48-bit BIOS. Where can I find out if my computer has better than 48 bit BIOS?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
As a general rule you should be able to get a fairly good idea based purely on the date of your current bios - this is normally flashed up quickly when you first switch the computer on (i.e during the memory check). Alternatively try going into the bios to see if the date is in there.

48 bit LBA support came in circa 2003 so if your bios is dated later than 2003, there's a good chance it will support 48bit LBA. Obviously the later the date, the better your chances are. If your bios doesn't currently support 48bit LBA, then it's still worth checking the motherboard manufacturer's website for bios updates.
Note that your bios won't have 'better than' 48bit support, that's just poor wording in the manual - all you require is 48bit LBA support

Even if your bios doesn't support 48bit LBA and there's no update available for this, then as a last resort you could use drive overlay software to force the bios to 'see' the drive's full capacity. The drive manufacturers website (in your case, Seagate) would be the best place to look for DDO (dynamic drive overlay) software.

The only really sure way to find out if your bios does support 48 bit LBA however, is simply to connect up the drive & see if the bios recognises the full capacity (i.e 320GB or there abouts)

Edited by Samm, 24 July 2007 - 06:54 PM.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Deleted.

Edited by 98springer, 24 July 2007 - 06:57 PM.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Well, I got it connected successfully... it showed about 298.3 GB. No problems. Thanks :whistling: