Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage running at 20% - 30%

• Please log in to reply

Adamcascio

Adamcascio

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello
I have had this problem ever since I bought the laptop, and HP refuses to agree with me on what I think is the problem. I have gone into Reg-Edit to try to fix the PIO Only and change it to DMA but it will not change. I have tried going into the Device Manager and trying to get it to DMA but it stays on PIO only (I did this first before going into Reg-Edit to try and fix the problem.) I have tried reformatting, etc. I have ruled out the problem being the HDD because the HDD has been replaced, so I think that it is another peice of hardware, because I had the same issues with the old HDD.
They replaced the HDD, and did not solve the problem, and my next guess is that it would be either A) RAM or B) Processor

PLUS SIDE: Laptop is still under warranty. :blink:

Now for the fault:
My computer has been acting up for a while. When I load up a song, the song plays extremely choppy for about a minute, then after that every once in a while. Even when not playing a song, the CPU is choppy. Even when I right click on desk-top to open a new folder. I check my processes in task manager, and everything seems to be in the norm. When the computer is sitting still, with nothing running, I move the mouse in a circle and I can see the computer skip beats. This occurs the worst when I am listening to music. Even when browsing the internet it does this, or browsing my system files. Any kind of activity my computer seems to rebuke.

I have gotten ad-aware, spybot S&D, and norton anti-virus (which I think is a virus in itself.. I hate norton :whistling: ). All updated completely and the checks come up clean, I do this once a day. I do not download, do not have any P2P programs such as limewire, kazaa, etc.. except for bit-torrent which I haven't even used yet and is not running, not even background processes.

Note to self:
Never buy a computer / laptop from a retail store ever again. I've always built my own and never had a problem.

Advertisements