Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oblivion System Crash

• Please log in to reply

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
This might be more appropriate under a different subject, but it involves a specific crash with Oblivion, so here goes...
Recently I bought a (EVGA) GeForce 8800GTS 640mb model video card along with a new cpu, RAM, and motherboard. After I installed everything, I began to have problems when I would play Oblivion-about 5 minutes into playing, the screen would flash blue, with some writing (too fast to read, however) then start up again. when it restarted, a Windows error message would pop up and state that the 'computer has recovered from a serious error'. this has happened every time i have played oblivion (always about 3 or 5 minutes into playing) and has not occurred with any other game (i.e., just cause, bf: Vietnam, DoW...) the reason why i believe the video card might be the cause of the problem is because, when installing the drivers, a message popped up that stated "this product has not acquired the windows XP certification" (the card is designed for windows vista, but should work for XP, which i have). also, as i mentioned, the problem only occurs when I am playing a game. just in case someone thinks thinks the problem might be attributed to something else, i will provide all my system specs (sorry again if I posted this in the wrong category)
Windows XP sp2
Evga GeForce 8800GTS 640mb
2 GByte DDR2 Corsair 'XMS2' (?)
AMD AM2 4600+
(motherboard) MSI K9AG Neo2

the only other problem i can think of is that the motherboard does have intergrated graphics (ATI Radeon x1080 or somethin' like that) that i never disabled for the simple fact that i could not figure out how to! (they didn't seem to be on the BIOS...) so if anybody knows anything 'bout that, that would help, too! thanks!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That Windows certification thing is normal with the newest drivers. In your BIOS usually there is a disply mode option which gives the options of PCI-E, onboard, or auto. If it is on auto or pci-e then you are good. Also you always want to uninstall your intergrated drivers through add and removed programs of the control panel. You may want to reinstall your nvidia drivers after deleting those. You can go into the device manager and select "display devices". If your intergrated chip is still displayed here then right click on it and select disable.

Also since your problem is only with Oblivion (which is a very glitchy game btw) you may want to try reinstall it. You may want to give the Unofficail Oblivion Patch a shot. It worked well for me.

Edited by Titan8990, 25 July 2007 - 06:00 AM.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I didn't try looking in the control panel for the integrated chip, thanks for the suggestion. For about a week it only happened when I was playing Oblivion, but now the problem is starting to occur even when I'm not playing Oblivion-for instance, about 5 minutes ago, when I was reading your post! I'm starting to wonder if it still is a graphics card-related problem....but I'll try disabling the integrated chip to see if it makes any difference...

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
well, now the problem is occurring whenever, whatever i'm doing, all the time-it must be a hardware related problem, so i'll post my problem in the hardware category. thanks for your help, though.