Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dish network internet

• Please log in to reply

walpoole

walpoole

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
We live in the country in ne Tennessee, and are currently on dial-up internet. My computer is Windows 98(vanilla,not SE) my husbands two computers are Windows 95 and a newer Dell w/WindowsXP(I believe). The older Windows in back-up, usually no internet service, but he does hook up once in a while. There is no dsl in the near future. I looked into Hughesnet but there are many unfavorable reports, plus a high monthly fee. We already have a DishNetwork for the tv, they said they can hook us up with broadband. Does anyone have experience with this, they said it will be 10 times faster then our dial-up?

Nancy

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Do you have cell phone signal in your area?

walpoole

walpoole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Barely.

walpoole

walpoole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Turns out internet through Dish Network is with WildBlue, which for the lowest plan says speeds will be up to 512 mbps, I currently get 42,666bps. So even at half the maximum speed of WildBlue, this would still be a lot faster than our current speed.

Nancy

walpoole

walpoole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No need for any responses. We have decided to not go through Dish Network and will use dial-up for now.

N