Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive wont work.

• Please log in to reply

kitchen-faucet

kitchen-faucet

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i've recently been having trouble with my disk drive on my IBM thinkcentre. the drive will not read any discs i put it, and its getting really frustrating. sometimes the drive willl make lots of noises like something is being damaged and will not open, and sometimes the drive simply dies. im hoping theres an easy solution to fix this, i opened my comp up, and there were no loose wires(that i could see) please help me

Disk drive: 16x/48x Speed IDE HH DVD Drive

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How old is the drive?

kitchen-faucet

kitchen-faucet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i checked the manufactured date. 2004

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
a simple test to rule out the os or driver as the cause of the problem would be to boot up on it using a linux live cd like puppy or knoppix, if the noises are still there one can conclude for certain that the CDrom is going south, the linux live cd leaves no tracks of itself so once the cd is remove from the drive one just reboots and one is back in windows as before.

Edited by fleamailman, 25 July 2007 - 12:14 PM.