Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot error

• Please log in to reply

jonny1976

jonny1976

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all. my first time on here.
My system will not boot up and displays this message.
boot from atapi cd-rom: disk boot failure,insert system disk and press enter.
I am a novice with computer and just starting to look deeper. I am thinking that it could be a boot virus so i looked at how to reboot. i was downloading from microsoft web site xp boot disk and it says to save to 6 floppy discs and then to load disc by disc. The problem is that this computer i am using now (untill mine is repaired) has no floppy drive. i am wanting to know if i write the boot disc to cd will i be able to boot from cd drive and if it is a virus what precautions i should take. My computer has f-secure at the moment but i left a disc in the drive so iam thinking you know. Also i have been playing with my bios setup changing start up drives so i need to ask what should start in what order.

Thank you for any help

Advertisements

clio1994

clio1994

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The reason that your computer displays "boot from atapi cd-rom: disk boot failure,insert system disk and press enter" is because you have your bios set to boot from cd and is trying to read the cd in the drive, the fsecure one that isnt a boot up cd. If you are installing windows xp all you need to do is put the cd in and it should auto load from there. You realy want your boot up as cd first, hdd second and floppy drive third. Hope that this information was of use to you.