Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can these applications work together?

• Please log in to reply

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have been installing and running many security programs. I would like to know if there is any known conflicts between these programs. I currently have:

1) Norton Anti-Virus
2) McAfee Firewall
3)(Ewido)AVG Anti-Spyware
4) Super Anti-Spyware
5) Ad-Aware Free with constantly running Ad-Watch
6) Spybot Search and Destroy
7) SpywareBlaster
8) SpywareGuard
9) WinPatrol

In addition,
What about replacing McAfee Firewall with ZoneAlarm Firewall? McAfee has some conflicts with Norton Anti-virus
What about downloading Windows Anti-Spyware, IE-SPYAD, and Windows Defender? Would these be helpful or redundant?

Thanks for the help in advance

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
An internet security suite will probably be cheaper than seperate firewall and anti virus, especially from different companies

Norton 2007 may not like spybot, search and destroy

Windows Anti-Spyware became Windows Defender

If you run all those, check they are not all set to scan at start up

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks. I am a rookie when it comes to internet security, so I have been loading anything and everything recommended everywhere.

My startup takes a while, so maybe that is part of the problem. When I have time, I plan to go through all my startup programs and figure-out what each one is. As for now, I will make sure that all of these do not scan at startup.

Thanks for the help.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
It seems best practice to have only one active firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware application running on the system at any time. More can actually result in less protection, and create system conflicts/problems.

So~ best to choose one of these: AVG anti-spy, Ad-aware Ad-watch, Spybot Teatimer, SuperAntiSpyware client. Personally, I would go with AVG as the full-time, and reduce the others to scan-on-demand, and run them each once a week.

Any number of "scan only" programs can be used one at a time.

My personal experience is that SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard "play well with others."
SpywareBlaster, of course, does not run full-time, and SpywareGuard seems to create no conflicts with my AVG anti-virus, Comodo firewall, and A-Squared AntiMalware full-time client.

One rarely hears about WinPatrol causing any problems whatsoever. It is actually a different sort of application.

If you are experiencing trouble after selecting one anti-spyware client, I would suspect Norton. There really are better alternatives. It gave me so much trouble that I tossed it out with 9 months left to go.

For more of what I have learned about layering my security, see my Vox: http://doc1101.vox.com/ No ads, no cookies, no live links, just info.