Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing diff linux distro

• Please log in to reply

dudefromjapan

dudefromjapan

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Is it possible to install another Linux distro on top of a Linux distro already installed? In other words, I have Ubuntu installed on my 30gb partition, but now I'm interested in Mandriva. Can I run the installation and install into the same partition? I think the installer reformats the partition so you can run a clean install, but I'm not sure so that's why I'm here. :whistling:

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
mandriva is not my distro so I cannot answer in honesty but eitherway once I did install mandriva on my computer I had tweaking to do(as always with any distro) but the problem I then had then was trying to find a good and friendly forum which since I didn't find one I gave up and uninstalled, so I would start there by finding the mandriva forum first then do the installation. Also I cannot remember if mandriva is a live CD so if not you might have driver problems, but what I did like about mandriva is the way that mp3s and DVDs worked where under Kubuntu(ubuntu with KDE) there is the source files to edit before getting things to work.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Is it possible to install another Linux distro on top of a Linux distro already installed? In other words, I have Ubuntu installed on my 30gb partition, but now I'm interested in Mandriva. Can I run the installation and install into the same partition? I think the installer reformats the partition so you can run a clean install, but I'm not sure so that's why I'm here. :whistling:

giving up on the ubuntu sound problem already?

just install over the ubuntu partition if needed

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Yes, you can install to the same partitions. You can choose to re-make the filesystem or not, so you need to make sure that you do. You can choose to use the existing partitions or make new ones.

dudefromjapan

dudefromjapan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

giving up on the ubuntu sound problem already?

just install over the ubuntu partition if needed

Sorry ditto, but yeah i wanted to try out different distros so I tried out Mandriva. I appreciate the help you've given me though. Thanks a bunch.