Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resolution is wrong through docking station

• Please log in to reply

briano17

briano17

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello-

I recently bought an Acer 22 inch widescreen monitor with native resolution of 1680 x 1050. I was already using my Thinkpad laptop with a docking station that connected to a regular LCD monitor without widescreen resolution with no problems. When I attached the new monitor (with DVI connection now), I can't bring it to 1680 x 1050. It is available to select, and when I try, the screen is too big and scrolls when you bring the mouse to the end of the screen. Also, everything is distorted just a little bit (looking up "circle" on wikipedia brings up a picture of an oval). I checked the list of modes shown in the properties on the tab with the video card (ATI Mobility Radeon 7500) and 1680 x 1050 is clearly shown there. When I switched back to RGB cable instead of DVI and took it off of the docking station, I was able to extend the desktop from the laptop to the monitor, and set the resolution on monitor 2 (the new display) to 1680 x 1050, and it looked perfect! However it is not on the docking station, and the right side of my screen will of course extend onto the laptop iteself in this mode. What I did notice is that I cannot get the monitor to be recognized as screen number 2 until it is off of the docking station - maybe that is involved. Also cloning would not allow different resolutions either - only extending for some reason. Is there any other way for me to get 1680 x 1050 resolution without having to go to so much trouble and inconvenience? Is there any way I can force the 1680 x 1050 mode to work while it is on the docking station? I would really appreciate any help on this!

Edited by briano17, 24 July 2007 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements