Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Case and PSU for SLI'd 8800 Ultra?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello folks. I will soon be building a relatively high end gaming rig. My plan is just to buy one 8800 Ultra initially and then the second in maybe a year when the price has dropped. I have chosen most of my parts, but am having trouble choosing the Case and Power Supply.

With respect to the case: I need to make sure that there is room for both cards (they're huge) as well as adequate airflow. I also have a Zalman CNPS 9700NT I'll be using that needs to fit. Socket type is AM2.

For the PSU, I know it needs to be strong but at the same time don't want to overdo it. I'll be going with 2 10,000RPM HD as well as a normal dvd/cd writer. So not much to power other than the 2 GPU's and AMD's FX X2 6000+.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go.

I am not quite sure what your budget is, but for your case I would reccommend the COOLER MASTER Stacker which can be found at the following link.

As for a PSU, I am not that knowledgalbe in that caterogry so another person will assist you there. But that case will give you great airflow and low temps!

Edited by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, 25 July 2007 - 12:00 AM.

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Here's a link that will help you estimate the size of the PSU you will need to run your rig. Keep in mind that to run 2X Ultras you're going to need quite a bit of power on the 12v rails.

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
For a case I highly recommend the antec 900, lots of fans and rather large.

Your looking at spending alot of money on your PSU. I need a budget as running two ultras you shouldn't have less then a 850W PSU, they are monsters for power and heat.

With the recent Intel price cuts I highly advice you get a Q6600 and a 680i board.