Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help installing PCI Card..

• Please log in to reply

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hello,

Recently I purchased a Sunix 1394B Card Firewire 800 PCI. The Bus type is 64 / 32 - bit PCI.

Looks like i cant connect it to my board. (GA-965P-DS3P).

my questions are: What type of PCI card can i connect to my board, and which slot do i put it in?

Here are some pictures to help out:

http://img524.images...diagram2kq5.jpg
http://img524.images.../diagramsx3.jpg
http://img233.images...mofslotsnl3.jpg

Thanks if you can help!

Kind regards,
st22

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The card you have purchased looks like it is a PCI-X card, which is not very common according to Wikipedia. I found the home page for your card, is this it? Link It looks like you'll need to find either some sort of adapter so that you can run it, or see if you can exchange it for one that works in a PCI-Express lane (as you have one x4 spare by the looks of your supplied pictures) or PCI.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hello,

That link is the one.

Do you think i can connect it to the PCI2 slot at the bottom? even though half the card will be sticking out the other end?

Thank you for your reply!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would say not to even try it! Even if it did work, you'd only get half the performance :whistling: just kidding.

If it's still pretty new then you could try getting a refund or exchanging it for one that is compatible with your current hardware? Just a thought.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
are you sure? i was talking to a friend, he thinks it will work fine, im confused now! haha

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
are you sure? i was talking to a friend, he thinks it will work fine, im confused now! haha

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
To tell you the truth, no I'm not sure. But I really wouldn't go trying myself. I strongly suggest that you don't try it! My guess is it might not even fit properly anyway...

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
has anyone tried connecting a 64/32 (as discussed in my posts) into a 32 successfully or unsuccessfully?

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
anyone?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
st22, I'm interested - did you ever find an answer to your problem?