Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Inspiron 1000 Screen Gone Black

• Please log in to reply

zblom

zblom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 running XP. It's only about 3 or 4 years old and the screen has gone black. You can still see the screen when it initially boots up, then it goes black when it is fully loaded. It was OK until it prompted me to do a battery recalibration and now I can't see a thing! All of my life is on this laptop - I need to know how to get the monitor fixed or if it's something else. The warranty is expired so Dell can't help me without robbing my bank account. I tried to hook it up to to a desktop monitor but it doesn't seem to make that connection.....do I need to use a hotkey or something to make that work? HELP!!! PLEASE!!! :whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: How old is the battery?

2: have you tried running the computer plugged to the power supply with the battery out?

3: You can use this link to optimize battery usage. Read the introduction and then the instructions for Inspiration 1000.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
To switch to an external monitor you use the Fn key and one of the Fkeys at the top of your keyboard. I don't know which one for sure on your model of laptop but it should have a little monitor image on it.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Also you might want to try running a small magnet just below the touchpad some dell systems have a reed switch there that can get stuck at times.