Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pop up window during boot

• Please log in to reply

oper44

oper44

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I want to identify a window that comes up during the boot process before the Windows Log on screen appears. It has a "OK" radio button which has to be clicked on to get the Log on screen to appear but no other identifying marks. In the top left are 2 small rectangles and in the body of the window the same 2 rectangles appear. I have run Spybot, Ad-Adware, Spy Hunter and have found nothing wrong. I am also up to date with windows updates. I still want to identify the window since it's only been coming up for a couple days now. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

Windows XP Pro SP2

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

oper44

oper44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Keith. So far I have found 2 threats with AVG. One is zlob.bov and the other is Adware.Agent. I found nothing with Superantispyware. I am following the steps you laid out and will post the logs as requested when I finish. It seems to me that the window that comes up before the Windows Log On screen must be initiating a new zlob.bov at each boot.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
System restore can be the culprit here, a scan removes it then a reboot puts it back

See what the Malware Team says before doing anything with system restore though