Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

POST (and BIOS) gone wonky

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This is really weird, and hard to explain, so please bear with me. Feel free to ask any questions for further clarification.

I have an ASUS P5S800-VM motherboard, it has always POSTed fine. Recently, with Rumble291's help (many thanks for the expert advice) I flashed my Sapphire Radeon 9550 which unlocks it to a 9600. Everything once POST has finished is fine, my Windows XP runs good and the graphics card is running more awesome than it was before (which is still pretty bad!)

The problem in particular is that it takes a long time to POST. It doesn't look like it's having trouble finding devices and completing, it's just that it takes a long time to display the information on my monitor. It will put out the motherboard make/model and BIOS update, then it will put out my RAM information and then it puts out my connected devices (optical drives, hard drives). When it is working on my connected devices it has finished a page and starts scrolling down. Normally this happened so quick you'd hardly notice it, just a quick scroll and then XP starts loading. Now everything doubles up (exactly the same line twice) like it's writing it on the next line and after it's done that for everything then it deletes the top one and continues.

I've also entered the BIOS setup utility and the problem is there as well. It takes about 2 seconds to load each page (before it was instant) and when I use the keyboard to move the selected line around it takes about 1 second to do this (before instant as well).

To fix the problem, I have found an updated BIOS from my mobo website, so I downloaded it and flashed (updated) with no difference. I now have BIOS update 1023, which is the latest. I thought that an update would fix it for sure.

Any ideas what could have happened? Or anything I could try? I guess I could just live with it, it still works, but I kind of want to know so I can fix it.

Thanks in advance. :whistling:

EDIT: further clarification, so confusing to describe!

Edited by ruthandtroy, 25 July 2007 - 05:45 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the problem only started after you flashed the video BIOS, then that's what's caused it. Issues with the POST screen are virtually guaranteed to be hardware-related. You can verify this by taking out the graphics card, that board has onboard graphics. if it passes through no issues with the onboard graphics, then you know where the problem lies.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sure I might try the onboard graphics again sometime, but yes I know that's where it started. I'm just not understanding why it would affect my BIOS in such a manner that it still does it after an update - especially when Windows has not been affected in this manner.

I'll try it and post again when I've done so, but in the mean time, any ideas why this might have happened? I think I'm flogging a dead horse asking, but if anyone has heard of it/seen it before, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks Neil for your response. :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Anyway if anyone is still interested, I found that if I change the BIOS setting so that it displays the ASUS fullscreen picture instead of all the writing during POST, then it's really quick. The problem only exists if it has to display the writing. That's really weird, but it works...