Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Output Problem

• Please log in to reply

BenB864

BenB864

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I was playing Hitman: Blood Money on my custom built computer which I made about a year and a half ago, and have had no previous problems with, when after about an hour or so of playing the computer frooze. My mouse and keyboard were none responsive so I manually shut down my computer, but when I went to reboot the monitor stays black with the light staying orange. I really have no idea what could have happened, I initially thought the video card may have overheated since I was running the game on the highest settings, but after about 3 hours now I'm still not recieving any picture.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may have happened, or any solutions?

Thanks
Ben

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Does your computer turn on, do the lights come on? Do you here your hard drive spin up?

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Sorry should have included that, yes all lights come on, all fans come on, hard drive starts up, the monitor just says no signal.

njantman

njantman

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I get the same problem (unresponsive monitor at bootup, HD activity lights blinking away, fans and HD spinning) sporadically (one occurance every few months); monitor is on with green LED and displays "No Signal, Digital" and then turns off to power saving, yellow LED. I've yet to figure it out or if the following things actually helped to bypass the problem, but try unplugging your system and monitor or cycling the power switch on the case Power Supply Unit. That has "seemed" to help get mine to reboot correctly in the past.

Are you using a digital signal (DVI) connector or analog?

The next time this happens to me the next step in narrowing it down will be changing monitors and then if necessary pulling the video card and trying the on-board graphics only. Last occurance I swapped out the monitor (ViewSonic 1912wb) with an identical monitor but it didn't help, so next I'll try the older analog monitor. If i can eliminate the monitor that will narrow it to the system itself.

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I checked my monitor on another computer, it works fine, so it is definately my computer, i replaced the video card with another one, but still have no display. Now im thinking since i checked another card it is not my video card, but i don't know what component it could be, the mother board maybe? I just dont see how it could just go like that though. I am using a DVI plug btw.

davyburns

davyburns

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have had similar problems in the past, and it normally comes just after I have been "fiddling about" as my wife calls it.
Try taking out the memory, and putting it back, the same with the video card, and anything else you have plugged in.
It might sound basic, and it is, but it might save you the price of a motherboard or graphics card

Case Mods

Case Mods

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This happened a lot with my old video card.

What I did was:
Take out the video card, and plug my monitor into the onboard video and reset my BiOS settings then save it and shut the pc down and put the video card back in and it works.

Does your Video card have a fan?