Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Which is better Xp pro, or Xp pro x64

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
i just recently gotten a xp pro x64 edition windows for my computer and it seems to have problems with compatiblily with lots of aniti virus and especially FIREWALLS ( as i can't find one i can use =(). So i was wondering is Xp Pro x64 edition any good and what's it's difference between the regular xp pro and is this one like worst than the other?

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
HI killer12

Windows XP 64Bit requires first a 64bit processor second programs on that version of windows needs to be 64bit compatible. Antivirus programs and firewall programs along with any other low level program you will find that you will especially need to pay attention on if it is 64bit compatible or not. While windows XP 64 is designed to be backwards compatible to 32bit not all programs are willing to run at that level.

When you are shopping for your program make sure and look for the x64.

If you want more information on the differences between windows XP 64 and 32 bit version and compatibility you can see This Wikipidea article