Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Blue Screen of Death' Crash

• Please log in to reply

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Recently I posted this topic in the 'Games' section, as I believed it to be a game-related problem, but now I think differently...
I recently built a new computer, and, as the title suggests, I keep on encountering a 'blue screen of death' error a lot when I am using my computer-in fact, every time i use it, as it often pops up within a half hour of startup. at first i believed it to be related to a game, as i would only encounter it while playing oblivion, but now i encounter it all the time. i know that this problem may seem vague, but i have no idea what could be causing it, since all my hardware managers show that everything is working correctly, and there should be no conflicts with the software. so i'll provide all my system specifications, just in case someone can spot a compatibility (though everything should work fine together) problem...
*everything is new*
MSI K9AG Neo2 (motherboard)
2 gigs corsair ram
AMD AM2 4600+
evga geforce 8800 gts 640mb graphics card

there are only two things i can think of as possible causes of the error... one: is overheating; though my cpu temp isn't too hot, at 91 degrees, with a very max of 104, my system temp is often running at 114 degrees and higher. i don't know if those temperatures are hot enough to cause a overheating crash...
the other is that, possibly, i'm not supplying enough power to everything, and this is causing a crash-i have a 425 watt power supply, and the minimum recommended for the 8800GTS is 400...and with everything else included, i don't know if i'm trying to filter too little power to too much stuff.
the very last thing i'll add is that i have the MSI Dual CoreCenter installed, and when my computer starts up, it will emit a loud, car-alarm like beeping sound (obviously a warning sound) for several seconds, before the blue screen of death makes it's appearance. (however, if i exit, my system stays running for several more minutes) as you can see, i've got a problem.
thanks for reading this rather long post, hopefully you can help. again, sorry for the lack of too much detail, if you need more, and i can provide it, i'll be happy to1

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
CPU 91 degrees?? System 114 degrees?? Both way, way too high. You need to seriously improve the cooling as that is almost certainly the cause of the crashing. I'm surprised you can even get the system to run at all with those temperatures.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I have to agree with pip22, reseat the heatsink, have you added the theraml paste/thermal pad between the heatsink and CPU? Add as many case fans as possible. You want to half those temps and then some as this is idle.
James

Edited by james_8970, 27 July 2007 - 09:38 PM.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I'll try resetting the heatsink (the thermal paste was, of course, already on) but in case this does not help, how would I go about getting more cooling in my system? I already have 5 fans on my system (power supply fan, vid card fan, cpu fan, and 2 case fans) so how would I add more fans?
also, when i turned on my computer last night, the monitor (or rather, the 'screen') was messed up-the resolution was off (it was back to 600x800) and the color was all messed up (it was blotchy, and some parts were in black and white). my friend mentioned that his computer displayed the same symptoms when he installed faulty ram on it...I don't know if bad ram could be one of the causes of the crash/bsod, but i just thought i'd put that out there.

Edited by dllp117, 28 July 2007 - 06:23 PM.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I also thought i should add that when i turned on my computer last night, the monitor (or rather, the 'screen') was messed up-the resolution was off (it was back to 600x800) and the color was all messed up (it was blotchy, and some parts were in black and white). my friend mentioned that his computer displayed the same symptoms when he installed faulty ram on it...I don't know if bad ram could be one of the causes of the crash/bsod, but i just thought i'd put that out there.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Could you give me a link to your RAM. Are you running it at the correct voltages. Also where did you get your temps from? Bios? How do you have the fans setup, how many are set as intake how many blow air out and where are the fans possitioned. For example the fan at the back should always be blowing out, the fan at the front always blowing in. If you have them all blowing in the same direction you wouldn't much cooling in your PC no matter how many fans there where.
James

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Here is the newegg link to my ram-
my RAM
And after looking at my motherboard on newegg (i got it elsewhere) i noticed a comment that mentioned it ran ram at 1.8 volts, where my ram runs at 1.9 volts...i'm supposing that my motherboard automatically changed the voltage, though...if not, i'm guessing that i'd change it in the bios. for reference, here is the newegg link to my motherboard-
My Motherboard
as for my fans, theykind of form an odd cross breeze-the cpu, back, and side fans (all of which form a sort of trianlge) all blow in towards eachother. the power supply fan, of coure, blows out, as does my video card fan.
finally, i did get my temps from bios, under the hardware monitor.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
While I strongly believe motherboards should automatically adjust the voltages they do not for some reason and it's what caused my BSoD when I built in June (I thought my motherboard manuacturer automatically adujusted this, when I contacted them they said otherwise).
Anyways up your VDIMM, buy .1V and see if this resolves your issues with the BSoD.
Also when your in BIOS, please check what temperature the CPU and motherboad are running at, this way we are getting the most acurate results, because honestly I don't believe your computer would run at all if it was running at the temps you posted.
Next can you explain the beep sound a little clearer, does it emit one long sold ring, or several, if so how many. Are they long or short beeps.
James

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
The beeps are being emitted from the Dual Core Center, which is (as you may or may not know) a software available from MSI (it was packaged with my motherboard BIOS cd) that monitors your cpu temperature and let's you apply certain settings for what type of activity you are doing- typing, gaming, sleep mode, etc. It is a start-up application, so when i start up my computer it emits a loud, 3 second beeping/buzzing sound, then 2 seconds of silence followed by another buzzing sound. this continues for about a minute, then my computer displays the bsod, before shutting down. the closest thing i could compare it to would be a tv emergency warning signal-it's loud (for a computer) sharp, and buzzing-i.e, it's not like any motherboard sound.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If this a single long beep then yes it's memory related. Again can you get into BIOS and chance your memory's voltage? Also where did you find your systems temperatures? If you can get into BIOS raise the memory voltage by .1V and get the current temperatures of your system.

If you cannot even get as far as BIOS and have a dual channel kit, try booting with just one stick, if one doesn't work try the other.

Those temps that you mentioned are so high that I believe they were inaccurate. Can you clarify where you got them from?

James

Advertisements

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I got my system temps from BIOS (I always do), so it would seem like it was an accurate reading...now when I start it up it's a bit cooler, at around 81 degrees (fyi, I'm measuring in fahrenheit, not celsius) but that could be just because i'm never on for more than five minutes. I'll try to change the memory voltage, that sounds like it might just work, but I probably won't get to that until tonight or tomorrow, so i'll post with my results tomorrow.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
When I went to chack the BIOS a minute ago, the monitor wouldn't even turn on...i tried plugging it in myvideo card and my motherboard, but neither work-it is firmly plugged into both the wall plg and the computer port, but all it does when i turn on my computer is turn green for a second, then go to orange (inactive mode). however, when i unplug it from my computer, it says that it is no longer connected to the computer...I don't know if this is connected to the ram problem in any way, or whole new problem (it just seems to be problem after problem!) but i'm going to try a new monitor later (i also tried it with the family computer's monitr, it did the same thing).

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you tried the family's monitor then another won't work as well. It's nice to know your mesuring in *F not *C, now that we know this the temps arn't an issue. For some reason everyone, even most americans, mesure in *C for computer temps even though you guys read everything in *F. Knowing this your temps are not an issue.

Can you remove the RAM all together and hard drive and see if it'll boot into BIOS? Many video dissortion and issues can be related to the RAM just as much as the video card. If you can boot into BIOS with the RAM disconnected but not when it is conected that tells us it's the RAM and you should probably RMA it. Have you tried booting with both sticks alone?

James

Edited by james_8970, 30 July 2007 - 04:43 PM.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Just an update, now the monitor is working again-I had to reset the bios via the jumpers on the motherboard, this did the trick. but it's still set at 600x800 with 4 colors, so i'll try starting it without the ram to see if thats the problem. and sorry about the fahrenheit/celcius mess up, i should've mentioned that was what i was measuring in.

Edited by dllp117, 30 July 2007 - 06:43 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not a problem with the degree mix up, just caused us to jump to conclusions :whistling:
James