Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Difficulty

• Please log in to reply

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
No, what he is talking about in post #3 is the the 24pin ATX mobo connector. What I am refering to are the single cords that connect your cases' power button ( HDD light and etc ) to the mobo.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok, heres a way to test the power supply to see if its alive or dead.

1. Find a loose peace of wire hanging around in you house.
2. Turn off your power supply
3. Stick one end of the wire into the Green wire plug on the 20+4 pin motherboard connector
4. Stick the other end into one of the black connectors on the 20+4 pin mobo connector
5. Start your PSU and if it starts then your PSU is alive if not then I'd use your warranty to get a new one.

If you don't understand something in those steps tell me before you do anything.

Soorena

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

No, what he is talking about in post #3 is the the 24pin ATX mobo connector. What I am refering to are the single cords that connect your cases' power button ( HDD light and etc ) to the mobo.

Oh okay...

And SOORENA, those instructions, are you sure? What kind of wire in particular?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Any type of wire thats not stranded, and yes this is a standard procedure I have done this many times. In fact I did it again today to see if my PSU was dead and guess what it was. I read this off a page to see how to start a PSU outside the comp so I can use some extra fans around my PC.

Soorena